It’s been said that the trucking industry is the backbone of our country and, indeed, through the pandemic and recent unrest, we have seen just how essential this service is to our society and economy. But it is also an industry plagued by high costs and even higher risks. So how and where can the insurance industry help support this industry to keep on trucking? Helping me unpack this value, as much as the complexities that drive it, is Wayne Rautenbach, Head of Hollard Trucking.
We delve into the following:
- How big and important is the trucking industry to the South African economy?
- What are the key challenges that the industry faces today?
- What exactly do insurance companies cover? The trucks and commodities inside, what about if a driver has an accident, and what about salaries?
- How do insurance companies, like Hollard Insurance, enable the trucking industry to stay on the road at a price that is viable?
- How is the industry using technology to help business owners both mitigate risk and save money?
- In what point does Hollard get involved in telematics? And at what point does it step away? And would you, for instance, use that information to reject a claim down the line?
- What advice would you give fleet owners to help them get the most value from their insurance company and products?
- What are some of the key questions a client should ask their broker upfront?