Why are our children not free? Free to live. To love. To learn. To play and to grow, knowing that they matter. This pandemic has had a devastating effect on our children and how do we help them through this continued crisis. Jelly Beanz, works towards giving HOPE to children nationally, although they are physically based in Cape Town. Jelly Beanz is a registered non-profit passionate about children and those working with children at risk.
Children make up more than half the population of South Africa. Around two-thirds of these children live in poverty. For these children, just getting something to eat, finding a pencil to do homework, staying warm on a cold day or dry on a rainy day is a never-ending struggle.
Life for these children is a battle to survive physically and emotionally. In these circumstances, they are more vulnerable to being abused or exploited sexually, more likely to become victims of violence and crime, and they have a higher rate of HIV infection. They are prone to drop out of school and suffer psychological problems. Those without adult caregivers and those who are separated from their parents are even more vulnerable. And these children are the most vulnerable when confronted with disasters such as the Covid19 pandemic.
Ironically, the children most in need of mental health services will never have access to such services. Yet, let us not forget that Africa has a strong tradition of healing through creating community and telling stories. For centuries, stories have imparted knowledge, values, moral lessons, and collective wisdom. Today, stories still have the power to instill hope, create meaning and provide emotional support for vulnerable children and youth. Stories can be a powerful tool for healing.
Therapeutic storytelling has become well established in the psychological treatment of children. Healing occurs not only in a therapist’s office but also wherever a child feels safe, cared for, and supported. Healing takes place within the safe relationsh!ips you can provide. You can walk alongside a child on their journey of healing. This book is a collection of healing stories. These stories are written by therapists who work in the field of trauma and abuse and use these in therapy with hurting children. We trust these stories will offer hope to children who know pain.
Let the healing for Africa’s Children begin
Come and join us virtually and experience the wonder and power of storytelling
Wednesday, 18th August @ 13h00 – Just click here to register
- News of the Week | #News | #News Updates | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast - September 23, 2022
- HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF YOURSELF, IT’S THINKING OF YOURSELF LESS! | #Business | #Leadership | Kevin Britz | Meenakshhi Iyer | NorthStar Solutions - September 23, 2022
- Lana Marais appointed as Regional Director for emerging markets, dentsu Africa | #Wires | #Media | #Marketing | #Branding - September 21, 2022
- Self Promotion in leadership | #BusinessCoaching | #Business | Kevin Britz | Meenakshhi Ayer | Northstar Solutions | #Podcast - September 21, 2022
- Music and Food are forever intertwined | #Music | #Food | Brunch with Bjorn | Bjorn Salsone | J Something | Joao da Fonseca | #Podcast - September 21, 2022
- Mr Hare meets Mr Mandela | #Theatre | #Entertainment | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Daniel Geddes | #Podcast - September 19, 2022
- The Week that Was | #News | #NewsUpdates | Kuhle Tshabalal | #Podcast - September 16, 2022
- Weekly Motoring News | #Motoring | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast - September 15, 2022
- Counting the ever-increasing cost: Impact of the ongoing attacks and looting on road freight | #Insight | #Trucking | Road Freight Association | Gavin Kelly - September 15, 2022
- Why Human-Centered leadership is needed today | #Insight | #Leadership | #Business | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast - September 15, 2022