As part of our PAY IT FORWARD segment here on www.ebizradio.com we chat to Kerri Delport – Director of Autism Western Cape. This series of conversations are part of the awareness campaign by Orion Organisation NPC – based in Atlantis in the Western Cape .
What is Autism?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Autism is a broad word used to describe a group of disorders of brain development. It affects the way people see the world and respond to things like sound, light, touch, space, smell and taste. Autism is also known as a communication disorder and affects four major areas of development. These include:
- Language and communication
- Social interaction
- Thinking and behavior
- Sensory processing
The symptoms of autism are usually evident before the age of three. The severity of the diagnosis or the level of support needed varies from person to person, and no two people with autism are alike. While autism is a life-long condition (there is no cure), early intervention can play a huge role in the prognosis, i.e. the management of symptoms and coping skills that can be taught. Once an individual is able to manage their anxiety (which is very common in people affected by ASD), they are able to learn other skills important for their development.
ASD affects 1 in 68 people globally. It affects 1 in 42 boys, and 1 in 189 girls. So boys are 4-5 times more likely to have autism than girls. Statistics have revealed a 10-17% annual growth rate in recent years.
If you are concerned that your child might be on the Autism Spectrum, ask your GP to carry out a screening assessment and if he/she is concerned, to write a referral letter.
In some cases, a referral letter can also be written by one of the following:
- Occupational therapist
- Speech and language therapist
Once you have a referral letter, make an appointment with one of the following professionals:
- Developmental paediatritican (government or private)
- Clinical Psychologist
- Educational Psychologist
Call Orion on (021) 572 8490 for assistance and guidance / [email protected]
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021
- Love your problems |#LTL |#Leadership | Dawn Rowlands |#Dentsu |#KevinBritz |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 18, 2021
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021
- Behavior is Truth |#LTL |#Leadership |Mike Abel |#Kevinbritz | Naomi Basson |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 11, 2021
- Looking forward to 2021 | #eBizTrends| Dion Chang| Podcast - January 4, 2021
- Driving demand for local businesses this festive season| #eBizWires | Daryn van Arkel |Podcast - December 18, 2020
- Why podcasting is an effective marketing tool |#Marketing | Paulo Dias |Ultimate Media | #ebizradio - December 17, 2020
- HOW DID I LAND UP HERE? #LTC |#Coaching |#KevinBritz |Julio Muhorro |Sharing Knowledge International #Podcast |#ebizradio - December 15, 2020