As part of our PAY IT FORWARD segment here on www.ebizradio.com we chat to Kerri Delport – Director of Autism Western Cape. This series of conversations are part of the awareness campaign by Orion Organisation NPC – based in Atlantis in the Western Cape .
What is Autism?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Autism is a broad word used to describe a group of disorders of brain development. It affects the way people see the world and respond to things like sound, light, touch, space, smell and taste. Autism is also known as a communication disorder and affects four major areas of development. These include:
- Language and communication
- Social interaction
- Thinking and behavior
- Sensory processing
The symptoms of autism are usually evident before the age of three. The severity of the diagnosis or the level of support needed varies from person to person, and no two people with autism are alike. While autism is a life-long condition (there is no cure), early intervention can play a huge role in the prognosis, i.e. the management of symptoms and coping skills that can be taught. Once an individual is able to manage their anxiety (which is very common in people affected by ASD), they are able to learn other skills important for their development.
ASD affects 1 in 68 people globally. It affects 1 in 42 boys, and 1 in 189 girls. So boys are 4-5 times more likely to have autism than girls. Statistics have revealed a 10-17% annual growth rate in recent years.
If you are concerned that your child might be on the Autism Spectrum, ask your GP to carry out a screening assessment and if he/she is concerned, to write a referral letter.
In some cases, a referral letter can also be written by one of the following:
- Occupational therapist
- Speech and language therapist
Once you have a referral letter, make an appointment with one of the following professionals:
- Developmental paediatritican (government or private)
- Clinical Psychologist
- Educational Psychologist
Call Orion on (021) 572 8490 for assistance and guidance / [email protected]
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020