The self-service capabilities of cloud services like AWS have greatly simplified the lives of business users and technical teams alike. However, those same self-service capabilities are creating new challenges for companies trying to manage their ecosystem on their own.
Like any other DIY project, do-it-yourself cloud will never be as easy as it would be with professional assistance. And, while it may seem to be cheaper, the costs can quickly stack up. Here are a few things to consider when you are deciding whether to go it alone or bring a specialist on board:
Keep track of how much you are spending
AWS allows for easy access to resources, allowing you to provision what you need, when you need it. While that makes keeping ahead of business needs an absolute pleasure, it can lead to bill shock if there is no easy way to keep track of what is being ordered, when, and by whom.
Using the AWS Console offers some measure of insight into activities and spend, but it only covers the AWS environment. A managed service provider (MSP) will be able to provide you with a view into your entire cloud ecosystem, helping keep track of all costs and providing insight at a granular level.
Payment terms that work for you
Like most other international services, AWS uses credit card payments to simplify foreign currency billing. This might seem simple at first glance, but there are a few drawbacks to using your credit card to pay for cloud services.
Primary among these is upfront billing. Services paid for with a credit card are billed on the 5th of every month, so any additional services provisioned will require a separate payment and bill.
An AWS partner or reseller will not only invoice in local currency, they will bill on a monthly basis, removing the need for multiple payments if any extras are required. A 30 day account makes budgeting and controlling spend much easier.
Most importantly, an AWS partner or reseller will ensure that there are no limits on your cloud spend. The Reserve Bank limits “foreign” credit card purchases to R50 000 per transaction. By providing a comprehensive monthly bill in local currency, the managed services provider ensures that you can access what you need, when you need it, without any additional admin.
Using an AWS channel reseller like IiOCO will save you time and money. With a single point of contact for both technical and billing requests, you gain easy access to the expertise you need to get the most out of your AWS environment.
An added benefit is access to reviews such as those defined by the Well Architected framework. These reviews help identify immediate cost savings, security remediations, and ensure your environment is created and maintained at a best practice level.
iOCO understands how to secure your environment, help you choose cost-effective solution designs and configure your workloads for high availability. iOCO will also help you avoid being charged for services you don’t need, and also offers a consolidated summary invoice of all your cloud spending, including AWS services.
Contact us today to optimise your AWS environment
Established to simplify ICT, iOCO is Africa’s leading integrated technology services company, with the largest concentration of skills on the continent. As a Level 1 B-BBEE end-to-end ICT managed service provider and Cloud systems integrator, iOCO operates with over 20 years’ experience. Its team of more than 4500 specialists delivers Open Digital Integrator, Enterprise Applications, Data and Analytics, Compute and Platforms, and Manage and Operate solutions to over 1 000 customers.
Inspired by digitally native internet organisations (iO) and creative organisations (CO) of the future, iOCO helps customers navigate the path to an exponential future. To achieve this vision, iOCO holds strategic OEM partnership agreements with more than 90 global leaders.
The fourth industrial revolution brings not only exponential opportunity, but exponential challenges too. The key to succeeding in this two-speed world is finding a digital journey partner that has the expertise needed to drive unprecedented growth. iOCO offers modern solutions that meet the demands of the cloud economy and 4IR.
For more information, please visit: www.ioco.tech
- Ground One Coffee is stirring it up! | #LTM | Lunchtime Marketing | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | Shane Radebe | Letsi Mailula | #Podcast | #ebizradio | Hollard Insure - November 25, 2021
- Roche launches cobas pureintegrated solutions analyser to help simplify operations in small to medium sized labs |#News | #Medical | Roche Diagnostics Sandra Orta - November 24, 2021
- Young artists invited to illustrate the spirit of wealth | Ubuntu Invest | Art | Neliswe Msango |Competition | #ebizradio | #Podcast - November 24, 2021
- Excuse Me | Unscripted Life | Clive Vanderwagen | Bongi Archi | #SupportLocal | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 23, 2021
- Every behavior is driven by a motivation | #LTL | Leadership | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- South Africa’s most attractive Employers – Universum Global demystifies the new employment landscape | #HumanResources | #Insight | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- In the NEWS – the week that was | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #eBizradio | #Podcast - November 19, 2021
- Let all children know they’re loved this – Universal Children’s Day | #News | Dr Jerry Gule | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - November 19, 2021
- THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS – A story of a movie that shaped an entrepreneur’s vision | #Opinion | Nelisiwe Masngo | Ubuntu Invest | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021
- The Firstwatch Entrepreneurial Challenge 2021 is live | #Entrepreneur | Simo Nzama | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021