Andre Botha from Treasury1 joins us for our weekly market report, with local economic data as well as international data from the US, EU and Asia.
The Rand has improved to around the early R14’s to the dollar on the back of an above expected GDP growth rate of 3.3% (quarter or quarter), this comes after a decline of 1.2% in the first three months of the year. Year on year growth however was anemic at best coming in at 0.8%. Thankfully South Africa avoided a technical recession (2 quarters of negative growth), however people and business’s continue to struggle and political uncertainty/interference in the economy continues to act as a drag on a local recovery.
Internationally, the dollar has weakened as lack luster economic growth points toward a lessening of a US interest hike soon (though still expected before years end), this has led to investors to explore emerging markets for higher yields also helping to strengthen the Rand.
Economic news out of Europe is steadily improving but there are no fireworks to report, much of the market is waiting to hear from the ECB (European Central Bank) for direction.
We unpack even more in the podcast, listen below.
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Since SA has have moved to level 1 lock-down, what effect is this having on the markets? | #Insights | #Trading | Zihad Israel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021