Andre Botha from Treasury1 joins us for our weekly market report, with local economic data as well as international data from the US, EU and Asia.
The Rand has improved to around the early R14’s to the dollar on the back of an above expected GDP growth rate of 3.3% (quarter or quarter), this comes after a decline of 1.2% in the first three months of the year. Year on year growth however was anemic at best coming in at 0.8%. Thankfully South Africa avoided a technical recession (2 quarters of negative growth), however people and business’s continue to struggle and political uncertainty/interference in the economy continues to act as a drag on a local recovery.
Internationally, the dollar has weakened as lack luster economic growth points toward a lessening of a US interest hike soon (though still expected before years end), this has led to investors to explore emerging markets for higher yields also helping to strengthen the Rand.
Economic news out of Europe is steadily improving but there are no fireworks to report, much of the market is waiting to hear from the ECB (European Central Bank) for direction.
We unpack even more in the podcast, listen below.
- Taming the ‘black swan’ gives rise to the Gig economy | #Opinion | #Mamiki Matlawa | Qunu Staffing | #ebizradio - January 17, 2022
- In the news this week | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 14, 2022
- BE BOLD, BE BRAVE | #UnscriptedLife | Clive Vanderwagen | Craig Urbani |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 14, 2022
- Are you thinking of buying a pre-owned 4×4? | #Motoring | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 13, 2022
- How Paying it Forward in business changes the environment | #LTC | Lunchtime Series | Kevin Britz | Helen Martin | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 12, 2022
- How professionals create good money habits | Change Conversations | Mpume Ncube Daka | Amanda Dambuza | #ebizradio | #Podcast - January 11, 2022
- The 2022 School Year: What Teachers, Parents and Learners Can Expect | #Classroom | #ebizradio | The Love Trust - January 10, 2022
- An African Platform for African business by African Business | #Entrepreneur | Word of Mouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Grace Mumo | Luxury Xclusives - January 10, 2022
- No matter what – SHOW UP! | #Entrepreneur | #BizInsight| Ingrid von Stein | Daniel Kahn | Firstwatch | #Podcast | #ebizradio - December 22, 2021
- Mission Possible! – A global health doctor takes on a new mission | #Insight | Ingrid von Stein | Dr. Allan Pambe | Roche Diagnostics | #Podcast | #ebizradio - December 22, 2021