The annual Flux Trends release – The State We’re In –
is an overview of where the world is, and where it is going, using the
acronym T.R.E.N.D.S. Each letter represents a key sector that will
affect how we live, work or play in the coming year. It’s an executive
summary of global dynamics and winds of change.
The 2020 edition is titled, The Politics of Rage & Polarisation: A Quest for Middle Ground.
By the end of 2019, the rising anger around the globe was palpable, as were the divisions that fuelled the rage. Whether they were political, economic, environmental or cultural, anger and dissatisfaction were omnipresent, and the merest spark ignited the flames of protest.
Globally, economic inequality, differences in political ideology and personal views are growing more extreme and divisive. Twitter reflects both the rage and toxicity we live with. Hope of finding common ground has receded, so the search for middle ground becomes all the more important. Middle ground is compromise; common ground is problem-solving.
Finding middle ground only addresses the symptoms of conflict, not its causes.
It will only mask tensions, not resolve them: but we have to start somewhere.
Middle ground points to an equitable solution. It won’t be perfect and will be temporary, but it should quell the anger.
To paraphrase Taylor Swift: “We need to calm down.”
Aren’t you curious to discover what state we’re in?
We will present our first SWI 2020 trend briefing on Wednesday, 12 February 2020.
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Since SA has have moved to level 1 lock-down, what effect is this having on the markets? | #Insights | #Trading | Zihad Israel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021