It’s the era of living in fear of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. So be prepared
The history of reputational damage is littered with the debris of bad choices, poorly worded tweets and terrible articles. It’s a field smothered in words that have come from statements, letters, Facebook posts and emails. Social media and digital have made anyone into a commentator, regardless of who they are or their understanding of a person or subject. Within these realms like misunderstanding, doubt, hate and anger, and it’s time to find ways of communicating that limit the negative and engage the positive.
At the moment of typing something on social or email, the sentiment may be hilarious, but the reality is that it can be interpreted through a thousand different moods, personalities, cultures and moments. In only one of those scenarios is the comment genuinely funny.
“We make multiple statements every day but social, racial and religious history often create an environment that’s afraid and humourless,” Howard Feldman explained at the Jewish Literary Festival in Cape Town. “We live in a post humour society and we need to understand the dangers of political correctness without being racist or prejudiced.”
In his course, Feldman examined the impact of culture and creed on comment and social commentary and looked to how individuals and institutions can navigate the waters without damaging reputations. It’s not easy, nor should it be. History is too complex and issues too relevant for it to be a simple task. But understanding the landscape and how to work within it is essential.
“You can be funny without appropriating culture,” he adds. “It just takes self-awareness and the ability to engage with others openly while setting your own personal issues aside.”
ABOUT Howard Feldman
Howard Feldman is one of South Africa’s leading entrepreneurs. His experience is global and extensive, spanning more than 20 years of working as a businessman, philanthropist and social commentator. Feldman was the chairperson of the Board of the South African Jewish Report, the only weekly Jewish newspaper in Africa, and he is a global keynote speaker, business strategist, author and morning drive show host. Regularly published in local and global publications, Feldman provides insights into strategic thinking, motivation, facilitating solutions and addressing organisational challenges.
Feldman has used his experience and innate understanding of markets and business to also take his career into the fields of writing and radio. He is the author of two successful books – Carry on Baggage and Tightrope: Musings of Circus South Africa – and is the Morning Mayhem host on ChaiFM from 6am-9am, Mondays to Fridays.
With this vast repertoire of skills and talent, Feldman is committed to providing individuals and organisations with the tools they need to thrive within a mercurial and challenging business world. His own life experience has allowed him to recognise the value of people and relationships without compromising on the energy of entrepreneurship and career growth. Feldman delivers thoughtful, humorous and insightful commentary that organisations can use to unravel complexities and unlock talent and potential. Thanks to his experience working across various markets, the legal profession and commodities markets to name a few, his skills lie in his ability to challenge, educate and engage.
Twitter – https://twitter.com/HowardFeldman
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/howard.feldman.75
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Carry-on-Baggage-by-Howard-Feldman-1723436314548856/
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/howard-feldman-86297743/
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/10579498/
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021