Data has become one of the most precious commodities in business today. The continually evolving digital environment means companies must adapt or risk getting left behind. For insurers, there needs to be a balance between delivering innovative solutions while meeting regulatory requirements. Angelique Strumpher, Administration Manager for Business Process Outsourcing at SilverBridge, examines this in closer detail.
The dependence of industry on data necessitated the governance and use of data, which paved the way for the development and implementation of data protection laws such as the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) in South Africa and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe. Even though the commencement date for the former remains uncertain, the grace period for the latter ends on 25 May this year. And while this impacts all industries, insurers will feel the pressure of compliance given how fundamental data is to their operations.
“Compliance is very much a strategic imperative for insurers in business today irrespective of whether you are a Corporate, a Brokerage or a Broker – we are all governed and impacted by the same regulatory outcomes when it comes to data compliance of our policyholders. In a digital environment being compliant is critical in ensuring channel and business success.”
The Insurance Act 18 of 2017 is designed to promote the maintenance of a fair, safe, and stable insurance market in the country. Expectations are that the Act will come into operation on 1 July 2018 but there is no confirmation of that happening yet with the deadline for comments on the draft regulation closing on 23 April 2018. The intention is to strengthen policyholder protection as well as provide for certain procurement and transformation requirements.
“This legal environment illustrates that compliance should never be considered a one-time thing. It requires insurers to continually manage the process and ensure that they tick all the necessary boxes across Systems Development, Product Development, and the Policy Management Life Cycle. Failure to do so will result in substantial fines and reputational damage. With numerous Fintechs waiting in the wings to snap up disillusioned customers, insurers must do everything they can to ensure they adhere to the regulatory framework.”
Becoming compliant (and maintaining it) is a complex process that requires commitment from all management levels. Fundamental to its success is to conduct an extensive audit that examines what data is being stored, accessed, and used across the organisation.
“We live in a time where customers expect insurers to know everything about them and offer them highly personalised solutions and affordable premiums. This requires an integrated data approach that is complex and has the risk of compromising personal information if governance and security processes are not in place. An internal audit aligned to POPIA and GDPR outcomes should be a priority to determine areas of improvement to ensure compliance.”
Understanding all the role players in terms of POPIA is a critical component in starting the process of classifying and categorising data. Using analysis tools and techniques developed for the unique requirements of the insurance industry becomes vital.
“Everything from data control and security to providing customers with the option to “erase” their data in the event of moving to another provider must be considered throughout the insurance data compliance process. Understanding the law when it comes to specific legislation and knowing which data is regulated are part of this [process] is a business imperative; as is data and document storage, and data and document destruction.”
Even though compliance brings with it certain universal elements and controls that must be in place, the journey of each insurer to achieve this will be different. There is no off-the-shelf solution that an organisation can install and become compliant overnight.
“Having a roadmap in place, if not already done, and maintaining the roadmap ensures that all decision-makers are on the same page when it comes to POPIA and GDPR requirements. This allows for transparency in the compliance process. Compliance knowledge becomes an Insurers’ power which could be a key differentiator in the market place in terms of reputation; which has a direct impact on business growth and business sustainability,” she concludes.
SilverBridge has over 20 years’ experience as a leading provider of insurance software solutions in the African financial services industry. Our footprint extends to 14 African countries. SilverBridge has introduced an enhanced service offering allowing financial services companies the opportunity to respond quickly to changing markets. With more than 30 customers throughout Africa, SilverBridge has the knowledge, experience, and technology to help its clients do better business.
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021