Amy McDougall and Samantha Sanders from Team dormakaba won the 3 Towers women’s race this past weekend in a time of 8:56:30. This provides them with a strong platform for the upcoming Berg & Bush mountain biking race at the Drakensberg escarpment.
The 3 Towers took place in the Mankele Bike Park in Mpumalanga and, according to Samantha provides a unique riding experience.
“The famous Bush Tunnels (kilometres of single track cut through the vegetation) are fantastic and the trails are also quite technical. It really is a physical race as you must work hard on your bike. However, every tired muscle is worth it when you hit the trails and shred down for kilometres. The event is a great balance of tough and fun,” says Samantha.
Amy agrees:“The 3 Towers is a race that is technical enough and can be won on having the best skills as a team. Sam and I did not need to break away on the climbs or flats, but we were able to make our own decisive moves in the Bush Tunnels. Not many races are technical enough to be able to do this,” she says.
“Day 1 was horrible for me because my form was just nowhere. The only thing I can put it down to is the heat. My power numbers were low and heart rate very high. I had to dig super deep and Sam had to nurse me to the finish. Luckily, the last two days were cooler, I came right, and we managed to win,” says Amy.
For Samantha, their strategy on riding their own race and taking each day as it came paid off.
“You can have something in mind, but ultimately your legs and body can let you down. We knew from previous experience to look after our tires and ride smooth. This is not the race to take unnecessary risks. Mankele is very rough and rocky, and always claims many victims.”
With several stage races remaining in the season, Samantha believes they will continue to prepare hard and race as best they can on the day.
“We always try to maintain a level of enjoyment racing. Obviously not in a way that it is not focused, but it is important to love what you do and remain passionate to keep the motivation levels high. Naturally, we would want to finish the season off with a few more podium finishes,” she says.
About dormakaba South Africa
dormakaba South Africa is an established 30-year old provider of smart and secure access solutions across South and Sub-Saharan Africa. Our premium products and creative solutions are crafted to the highest quality and include the supply and installation of door hardware, entrance systems, interior glass systems, electronic access and data, master key systems, safe locks, lodging, movable walls, key systems, and we deliver comprehensive service contracts.
With more than 150 years of experience, millions of products and countless successful installations, we are your reliable partner in secure and flexible access installations across all industries and requirements.
- Valuable and Purposefully Giving this Social Development Month | Pay It Forward | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Is the option to work from home inclusive and diverse? | #Insight | #Business | #HR | Devan Moonsamy | ICHAF | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Sharing more about RETT SYNDROME and how you can help! | #BusinessBrunch | Bjorn Salsone | #PayItForward | Rett-SA | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Equality, diversity and inclusion – starts with YOU | #Insights | #Diversity | Pabi Mogosetsi | Universum Global | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Cyber Security Awareness Month Is a Good Time to Review Your Payroll Provider | #Insights | Sandra Crous | PaySpace | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Motoring News of the Week | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 25, 2021
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021