Spur is a South African institution, loved by generations of families. Over the past few years, Spur has successfully built a digital connection with many of its customers, in partnership with digital agency, Gloo. As a result of the continued investment in its digital strategy, Spur has been able to add value to its business, while trading in a highly competitive sector of the market.
Currently, Spur shares a digital connection with a segmented database of over 3.1 million active consumers and is socially linked to over 350,000 Facebook fans. In growth terms, this has been achieved by an overall increase of the Spur consumer database of 40% year on year. Each of these connections provides cost-effective engagement opportunities for the brand with its customers.
As part of an ‘owned, earned and paid’ media strategy, Gloo has created many digital platforms for Spur. The most recent of these is a digital platform called Secret Tribe that has been designed to engage the brand’s younger audience, and functions fluidly across mobile and desktop platforms. After completing a research project into the behaviour of kids across various age groups, Gloo gathered insights that drove the eventual user experience (UX) and design of the interface and content plan.
The end result was colourful, engaging, and fully responsive, and included a utility to assist parents and kids to organise their birthday parties at Spur, as well as create and send digital invites to friends and download various useful recipes, games, and outfits for parties at home.
Another digital innovation is the new digital eFamily Card, an incredibly easy and convenient way for consumers to earn points and redeem their vouchers – all without having to worry about carrying a physical card. To date, the efficiencies of this system, provided by the switch to digital signups, has saved Spur in excess of R2mil.
Another aspect of the strategy has been to assess the physical restaurant space, and explore digital interaction opportunities that add to the fun family experience.
As part of this drive, Gloo recently used a combination of touch technology and some added magic to bring Soaring Eagle (one of Spur’s much-loved kids’ characters) to life on a bespoke touch screen installation. Kids were able to chat to Soaring Eagle thanks to the talents of a hidden voice artist, as well as have their photo taken with him. These personalised photos were then sent to parents, creating socially shareable memories of the experience.
Ryan Haworth, Spur Digital Marketing Manager, comments: “We’ve been working with Gloo to launch many different aspects of digital marketing to benefit both our family customers and our business needs. We have seen great growth in our online platforms, as well as increased adoption amongst our target market; thus making digital media an important driver of growth within the group”.
Paula Hulley, Gloostad Deputy Managing Director, adds: “The Spur relationship has been a special journey for us, as we’ve helped drive growth for them right from the early days of digital. As a client, they have been very forward thinking in this space, which has allowed them to get ahead of the competition. Moving into our 6th year of partnership with Spur, we feel there are plenty of opportunities for us to add even larger areas of value to their brand.”
- Philanthropy: Restoring human dignity through innovation in SA|#PayItForward |#ebizradio - October 30, 2020
- #POWERTOTHEPIXEL 2020 |Fak’ugesi Festival |#MbaliNdhlovu | Dr Tegan Bristow |#Digital |#Podcast - October 30, 2020
- What is the difference between SOCIAL SELLING and SOCIAL MARKETING? |#Sales |#ShelleyWalters |#Podcast - October 29, 2020
- Positivity, Authentic and Consistency – That’s how to build a brand |#LTM |#KevinBritz |#BjornSalsone |#DannyPainter - October 29, 2020
- Without children we have no future – Protect them! |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Edith Kriel | Jelly Beanz |#ebizradio - October 28, 2020
- A Paradigm Shift In Events Marketing |#Letstalkdigital |#Digital | Audrey Naidoo | Neo Matsau - October 28, 2020
- Are you a narcissist? |#LTC |#KevinBritz |#LTS |Natasha Williams - October 27, 2020
- The Boomer Economy: Marketing to the Amortalists| #eBizTrends | Dion Chang| Podcast - October 27, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizInsights | Prevan Naidoo | Podcast - October 27, 2020
- How to innovate in publishing – Pivoting the publishing industry toward purpose |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth |Arthur Attwell - October 26, 2020