Obsidian Systems, an established South African supplier of Open Source software solutions, in association with several industry partners, recently hosted a one-day open collaborative session: Software Freedom Day Pretoria 2014 on 20 September in support of the global Software Freedom Day (SFD) initiative.
The full day event was held at The Station Lounge (50 meters from the Pretoria Gautrain Platform), there was no entrance free, but space was limited and the venue filled quickly. The Programme featured a number of speakers, interactive discussion, breakaways in hack rooms and networking opportunities.
“Our aim for SFD 2014 is to engage with and encourage computer users, local businesses, startups and other groups to use free software and promote the philosophy. We provide a friendly and accessible community to learn about and discuss free software,” explains Karl Fischer, Technical Consultant at Obsidian Systems.
Coverage of the event was also available via social networks Facebook and Google.
A number of speakers lined up to delve into an array of topics:
From Open Hybrid Cloud, the Internet of Things and Graphics in the open source world to insight into open source technology offerings including ELK – Log Analysis, OpenSUSE Build Service, ownCloud – Your ownCloud 9, and Docker, amongst others.
We chat to Karl Fischer from Obsidian about this event:
- Philanthropy: Restoring human dignity through innovation in SA|#PayItForward |#ebizradio - October 30, 2020
- #POWERTOTHEPIXEL 2020 |Fak’ugesi Festival |#MbaliNdhlovu | Dr Tegan Bristow |#Digital |#Podcast - October 30, 2020
- What is the difference between SOCIAL SELLING and SOCIAL MARKETING? |#Sales |#ShelleyWalters |#Podcast - October 29, 2020
- Positivity, Authentic and Consistency – That’s how to build a brand |#LTM |#KevinBritz |#BjornSalsone |#DannyPainter - October 29, 2020
- Without children we have no future – Protect them! |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Edith Kriel | Jelly Beanz |#ebizradio - October 28, 2020
- A Paradigm Shift In Events Marketing |#Letstalkdigital |#Digital | Audrey Naidoo | Neo Matsau - October 28, 2020
- Are you a narcissist? |#LTC |#KevinBritz |#LTS |Natasha Williams - October 27, 2020
- The Boomer Economy: Marketing to the Amortalists| #eBizTrends | Dion Chang| Podcast - October 27, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizInsights | Prevan Naidoo | Podcast - October 27, 2020
- How to innovate in publishing – Pivoting the publishing industry toward purpose |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth |Arthur Attwell - October 26, 2020