The organisers of the world-class South African steam and heritage event, aptly named the Stars of Sandstone, are reporting a steady stream of enquiries for the 30 March to 9 April 2017 event in the picturesque Eastern Free-State.
Bordering scenic Lesotho, visitors will enjoy the estate with its magical surrounds of Sandstone mountains, cosmos, farmlands and views of the majestic Maluti Mountains either on foot or from steam trains running on 26km of track.
The SA Armour Museum delivers a riveting performance every time, with larger than life demonstrations of tanks and heavy armour dating from WW2 to the present.
This working farm sets a precedent of utilising every resource available on this fertile, beautiful land, from ever-expanding cattle herds to harvesting cosmos, soya, wheat, maize, sunflowers and the like.
Come share the Heritage diversity of vintage locomotives, classic aeroplanes, and military vehicles. Sandstone’s teams of trained Afrikaner Oxen toil away oblivious to the attention lavished on them.
Over 300 vintage tractors are on display and carry out a variety of tasks.
Rare road Steam Traction engines, buses and cars of a bygone era take centre stage in providing endless pleasure throughout the event. The myriad agricultural relics in mint condition will again be exhibited at the 2017 festival, with glittering new additions to the ever-expanding collection.
Massive double headed Garratts haul the one-and-a-half-hour Mountain Wanderer train through the mountains while diminutive sugar cane locomotives on the new children’s train bring delight to all generations.
This is the largest collection of 2ft narrow gauge locomotive trains, 30 to date, in the world.
Aircraft set to thrill at Stars 2017 includes: Harvards, Tiger Moth, Stampe, Chipmunk, and more. The airstrip welcomes fly-in guests, as always, just ensure the organisers are aware you’re coming to secure a smooth arrival process, as always.
Rates for the 2017 Festival start at R912, including VAT, per adult on a self-catering basis per day, and R1,083 on a 3-meals a day basis, with reduced rates per spouse and children per day sharing, subject to availability, and rates include all train rides.
Women’s Day event 6 August 2016:
Regular long weekend open day steam events at Sandstone have been in operation throughout the year by popular demand, and the next date is set for Women’s Day Weekend, Saturday 6 August.
Entrance fee @R300 per person and R150 per child under 12 years old, including VAT, plus unlimited train rides.
Meals are available at additional cost at the Waenhuis Café on the estate.
Visitors to the recent June 18 Youth Day Weekend have reported a terrific time had by all, of which everyone attending agreed that the passion for steam, maintenance of tracks, locomotives, exemplary farming and vistas result in this being a bucket list destination for all ages.
The Sandstone team report a growing number of new and now regular visitors to the event. The event, which was first launched in 1999, has always attracted a large number of visitors from overseas including visitors from the United Kingdom, Australia, the USA, Belgium and Germany, where working heritage steam and vintage relics enjoy a loyal following, it is heartening to notice the larger numbers of South Africans now registering online to attend the festival.
All the drivers of the steam and heritage vehicles are involved on a voluntary basis, travelling from across the globe to pay homage to the romance and fun of a special era and the directors urge visitors, drivers and firemen to register early to attend and participate.
To avoid disappointment, register at:
- Ground One Coffee is stirring it up! | #LTM | Lunchtime Marketing | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | Shane Radebe | Letsi Mailula | #Podcast | #ebizradio | Hollard Insure - November 25, 2021
- Roche launches cobas pureintegrated solutions analyser to help simplify operations in small to medium sized labs |#News | #Medical | Roche Diagnostics Sandra Orta - November 24, 2021
- Young artists invited to illustrate the spirit of wealth | Ubuntu Invest | Art | Neliswe Msango |Competition | #ebizradio | #Podcast - November 24, 2021
- Excuse Me | Unscripted Life | Clive Vanderwagen | Bongi Archi | #SupportLocal | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 23, 2021
- Every behavior is driven by a motivation | #LTL | Leadership | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- South Africa’s most attractive Employers – Universum Global demystifies the new employment landscape | #HumanResources | #Insight | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- In the NEWS – the week that was | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #eBizradio | #Podcast - November 19, 2021
- Let all children know they’re loved this – Universal Children’s Day | #News | Dr Jerry Gule | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - November 19, 2021
- THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS – A story of a movie that shaped an entrepreneur’s vision | #Opinion | Nelisiwe Masngo | Ubuntu Invest | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021
- The Firstwatch Entrepreneurial Challenge 2021 is live | #Entrepreneur | Simo Nzama | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021