The organisers of the world-class South African steam and heritage event, aptly named the Stars of Sandstone, are reporting a steady stream of enquiries for the 30 March to 9 April 2017 event in the picturesque Eastern Free-State.
Bordering scenic Lesotho, visitors will enjoy the estate with its magical surrounds of Sandstone mountains, cosmos, farmlands and views of the majestic Maluti Mountains either on foot or from steam trains running on 26km of track.
The SA Armour Museum delivers a riveting performance every time, with larger than life demonstrations of tanks and heavy armour dating from WW2 to the present.
This working farm sets a precedent of utilising every resource available on this fertile, beautiful land, from ever-expanding cattle herds to harvesting cosmos, soya, wheat, maize, sunflowers and the like.
Come share the Heritage diversity of vintage locomotives, classic aeroplanes, and military vehicles. Sandstone’s teams of trained Afrikaner Oxen toil away oblivious to the attention lavished on them.
Over 300 vintage tractors are on display and carry out a variety of tasks.
Rare road Steam Traction engines, buses and cars of a bygone era take centre stage in providing endless pleasure throughout the event. The myriad agricultural relics in mint condition will again be exhibited at the 2017 festival, with glittering new additions to the ever-expanding collection.
Massive double headed Garratts haul the one-and-a-half-hour Mountain Wanderer train through the mountains while diminutive sugar cane locomotives on the new children’s train bring delight to all generations.
This is the largest collection of 2ft narrow gauge locomotive trains, 30 to date, in the world.
Aircraft set to thrill at Stars 2017 includes: Harvards, Tiger Moth, Stampe, Chipmunk, and more. The airstrip welcomes fly-in guests, as always, just ensure the organisers are aware you’re coming to secure a smooth arrival process, as always.
Rates for the 2017 Festival start at R912, including VAT, per adult on a self-catering basis per day, and R1,083 on a 3-meals a day basis, with reduced rates per spouse and children per day sharing, subject to availability, and rates include all train rides.
Women’s Day event 6 August 2016:
Regular long weekend open day steam events at Sandstone have been in operation throughout the year by popular demand, and the next date is set for Women’s Day Weekend, Saturday 6 August.
Entrance fee @R300 per person and R150 per child under 12 years old, including VAT, plus unlimited train rides.
Meals are available at additional cost at the Waenhuis Café on the estate.
Visitors to the recent June 18 Youth Day Weekend have reported a terrific time had by all, of which everyone attending agreed that the passion for steam, maintenance of tracks, locomotives, exemplary farming and vistas result in this being a bucket list destination for all ages.
The Sandstone team report a growing number of new and now regular visitors to the event. The event, which was first launched in 1999, has always attracted a large number of visitors from overseas including visitors from the United Kingdom, Australia, the USA, Belgium and Germany, where working heritage steam and vintage relics enjoy a loyal following, it is heartening to notice the larger numbers of South Africans now registering online to attend the festival.
All the drivers of the steam and heritage vehicles are involved on a voluntary basis, travelling from across the globe to pay homage to the romance and fun of a special era and the directors urge visitors, drivers and firemen to register early to attend and participate.
To avoid disappointment, register at:
- What is a successful MINDSET for SELLING TODAY? |#Sales |#ShelleyWalters |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 27, 2021
- The power of Feminine leadership |#LTC |#KevinBritz |#Coaching |Reshma Aziz Khan |K’enso Consulting |#Podcast - January 27, 2021
- Consider cultural diversity when working remotely |#LTC |#Coaching |#KevinBritz | Viviana Premazzi | Global Mindset Development – GMD |#Podcast - January 26, 2021
- I’m struggling to get going in 2021! |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson |#Leadership #Podcast |#ebizradio - January 25, 2021
- The real price of free social networks |#OneEyedMan Podcast |#MikeStopforth | Nerushka Bowan - January 25, 2021
- The Saturday Night Show – Tales from my stethoscope | Bruna Dessena |#AdvancedLifeSupportParamedic |#Podcst |#PayItForward - January 21, 2021
- Oops….you exposed yourself! What’s up with What’s App? |#LTM | Craig Page-Lee |#Marketing | Podcast |#ebizradio - January 21, 2021
- Why you need to be agile in 2021 |#LTC |#Coaching |Meenakshi Iyer | Northstar at Work |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- The art of virtual B2B selling in 2021 | #TalkDigitalZA |#AudreyNaidoo |#ShelleyWalters | The Sales Counsel |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021