Following in her father’s (entrepreneurial) footsteps, Siyasanga Ngcongca is the director of Ngcongca Building Consulting, a service provider for insurance companies regarding their non-motor, building and commercial claims.
Its service offering ranges from claims regarding fires to storms and floods, break-ins to building maintenance.
The company has more than 20-years’ work experience with various insurance companies – such as Absa Bank, Mutual and Federal, and Nedbank – as well as in more recent years, Nedgroup Insurance, Santam and Bryte Insurance.
The family business was established by the late Mr Lamla Ngcongca in 1993, and now run by his daughter Siyasanga and Zuko Mgobozi.
Siyasanga currently employs 14 people and plans to employ up to 35 by 2020 as she intends to grow the business further and expand under corporate building maintenance.
The company comprises of three teams and has a Level 1 B-BBEE status with its 100% black-women ownership.
In 2017, Ngcongca Building Consulting was awarded Contractor of the Year by Nedgroup Insurance in the Western Cape. This year, Siyasanga has been nominated for the Building a Legacy award to be held in August by 2018 Top Women Conferences.
With short and long term goals in place, Siyasanga wants to ensure the company succeeds for another 20-years to come.
These goals include saving capital to purchase dehumidifying machines, to be used across a number of jobs in high demand and by doing so, will be able to employ 15 additional people – which she hopes to achieve within the next 18-months. As mentioned above, Siyasanga would like to venture into corporate building maintenance as facilities building management. In addition, she would like to establish a business hub in the community for entrepreneur start-ups, where they will have access to a professional office space to conduct business and engage with other entrepreneurs. Siyasanga also wants to mentor start-up businesses within the industry by subcontracting business to them, which in term will create more job opportunities.
Long term, she would like to own a demolishing company.
“As a SAB KickStart Boost finalist, I not only hope to gain business exposure, but more importantly, I would like to enhance my business skills, so that I am able to achieve my goals and be prepared for bigger business opportunities – be it growth or helping other entrepreneurs.”
- Inspiration: Michael Smythe, my financial advisor. We meet at least once a month and discuss my current challenges and we review my bi-annual goals to ensure I remain on track to achieve them.
- What drives you and motivates you as an entrepreneur? A number of things motivates me as an entrepreneur. Firstly, I motivate myself and my ambition to succeed, coupled with hard work, has played off. Secondly, I am motivated by my clients and delivering excellent service.
- Advice to fellow entrepreneurs: I get asked this question a lot! As an entrepreneur, you have to work smart – it is not necessarily the amount of time you put into the business, but rather the quality time. Never stop believing in your dream! Continue to knock on doors because the right ones will open!
- Something from your entrepreneur journey: My journey was all about ‘hitting the ground running’ because when my father passed away, I was about to graduate as an internal auditor and had just started my junior account position. I did not have a wealth of business knowledge but I had to dive straight into the business, a male dominated industry, because I had to think about the future of my family as well as the employees. At the time, we had one contract, and through accountability, ambition and drive, we now have five.
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021
- Love your problems |#LTL |#Leadership | Dawn Rowlands |#Dentsu |#KevinBritz |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 18, 2021
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021
- Behavior is Truth |#LTL |#Leadership |Mike Abel |#Kevinbritz | Naomi Basson |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 11, 2021
- Looking forward to 2021 | #eBizTrends| Dion Chang| Podcast - January 4, 2021
- Driving demand for local businesses this festive season| #eBizWires | Daryn van Arkel |Podcast - December 18, 2020
- Why podcasting is an effective marketing tool |#Marketing | Paulo Dias |Ultimate Media | #ebizradio - December 17, 2020