A common misconception amongst marketers is around the ages, race, and income level of people using the Internet in South Africa. We take an objective look at who is using the Internet.
More than one-third of us are Internet users. Use is spread evenly through age-groups. Two-thirds of users of the Internet are black. Almost two-thirds are in households with under R12k per month income. Within each race group, just over one-fifth of black and coloured people are Internet users. For white people, more than two-thirds are Internet users. Within age-groups, almost two-thirds of 25-34’s are Internet users, whereas less than one-fifth of 50+’s are Internet users.
Of all Internet users, 50% are accessing using their mobile phone (smartphone or feature phone) and 10% are accessing using their tablet. Half of white people access using their mobile phone or tablet, while two-thirds of black people access using their tablet. Two-thirds of 15-24’s access using their tablet or mobile phone, while just under half of the 50+’s access using their mobile phone or tablet. About two-thirds of the of the of the lowest household income group access via their mobile phone or tablet, while half of the highest income group access via their mobile phone or tablet.
While, sadly, there is a disparity between income groups, race-groups, and age-groups, it is clear that a large portion of South Africans are using the Internet and increasingly more are using the Internet via their mobile phones
- Why are consumers encouraged to save even in these tough times? | #Money |#Insight | #FSCAMyMoney | Lyndwill Clarke | #ebizradio | FSCA - July 23, 2021
- Beware of them COOKIES! | #LunchtimeMarketing | #LTM | Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - July 22, 2021
- Jou reputasie maak saak! | #DieBesigheidsKombuis | Naomi Basson | Regine le Roux | Reputation Matters | #ebizradio | #Podcast - July 22, 2021
- Renewed focus on People | Human Resources | #Management | Candice Neumann | 21st Century | #ebizradio | #Trend - July 21, 2021
- Knowing your value and worth | #ChangeConversationsWithMpume | Busi Selesho | Mpume Ncube-Daka | #Insight | #ebizradio | #Podcast - July 21, 2021
- Managing your business reputation | #Insight | Regine le Roux | Reputation Matters | Ingrid von Stein | #Podcast | #ebizradio - July 21, 2021
- Soft Fascination whilst in a holding pattern | #Trends | Dion Chang | Flux Trends | #Podcast | #ebizradio - July 21, 2021
- Who can we trust with our planet? | #Opinion | Burt Rodrigues | BIODX | #Sustainability | #ebizradio - July 21, 2021
- The rise and rise of the all-in-one lifestyle app | #Technology | Arthur Goldstuck | Ingrid von Stein | Gadget.co.za | #Podcast - July 20, 2021
- It’s okay to not be okay | #OneEyedMan | Mike Stopforth | Bridget McNulty | Podcast | #Insight | #ebizradio - July 20, 2021