February is not just the month with the least amount of days but it has also been branded the month of love. By now, all our major retailers have decked their stores in strews of red and hearts. In fact the infectious love bug has not just hit our stores it has also trickled in to our social media.
Browsing Facebook and Instagram these past few days does not just show us the latest memes but also now has a range of valentine ideas and hacks you could be using to make this day special. As much as the concept of showing your partner how much they mean to you is exaggerated in this month, what we don’t see being encouraged in this month is self-love.
Sure, there are the odd meme’s that showcase how Valentine’s Day can be spent alone (this often showing the idea of staying home eating comfort food and watching your favourite movies). But what if there was a better way to feel the love? What if instead of moping about not having a Valentine you use this time to develop yourself?
Self-love does not only have to be giving into temptation and buying those shoes you have been after. Self-love is when you choose YOU each time. And why not use this time to choose yourself.
If you have always wanted to get fit and start eating healthy, why not use this time to focus on that?
If you have wanted to further your studies but have been putting it off due to whatever reason, why not take this time as a chance to work on yourself?
If you have wanted to leave your toxic work place why not use this time to update your CV, take on a few short skills and explore other career ideas?
Here are some of the things you need to do to ensure you are on your self-love journey.
· Start researching the courses you are interested in. by doing this you will identify what the requirements are and it will motivate you to get start as soon as possible.
· Consult with your managers at work to see if your company would be able to pay for your studies. Most companies are open to the idea and often have policies in place to assist with employee’s study needs.
· Diarise the start dates of courses. Even if you have missed the start date for this semester, why not book a space for the next one?
· Enquire about night classes. Sometimes we feel discouraged from studying because it infringes on our work day. However, there are many colleges night learning to assist people who have day jobs. Consider this as it would be a chance to get closer to your dream.
· Family support is extremely important on this journey. Inform your loved ones on your ambition to head back to school. And ask them for assistance whenever you need it. Perhaps you have a 3-year-old and you often need a sitter, maybe a family member that you trust is around and able to take care of the baby while you focus on your studies.
· If you find the workspace you are in to be toxic, take the time to enhance your CV and apply for opportunities that might be better suited for your skills set. Your future self will thank you for taking the leap.
Valentine’s Day can be an overwhelming period with people rubbing it in your face about the chocolates and roses they have received. In fact even a slight bit of envy might overcome you when you see flowers and cuddly gifts being delivered for your colleague. But something that will help you to get rid of the feeling of FOMO is the fact that you are working on yourself. And there is honestly no better love than self-love.
Devan Moonsamy is the CEO of ICHAF Training Institute. ICHAF offers SETA-approved training in business skills, computer use, and soft skills. Devan specialises in conflict and diversity management, and regularly conducts seminars on these issues for corporates. To book a seminar with Devan or for other training courses, please use the contact details below.
- How a single event changes your life | Tales from my stethoscope |#Podcast | #PayItForward | Colette van Heerden - March 5, 2021
- ‘Draw the Line Against Malaria’ | #eBizWires| #eBizPayItForward - March 4, 2021
- What impact has Covid had on E-Commerce and global economies? |#Marketing | #Kevinbritz | Craig Page-Lee |#Podcast |#ebizradio - March 4, 2021
- B2B Public Relations and getting it right |#LTC |#Coaching | #kevinbritz | Thandi Chaotsane-Moticoe | #Podcast | #ebizradio - March 3, 2021
- Customer Experience Is The Future Of Marketing |#Marketing | Audrey Naidoo | Jacqui Maroun |#Podcast |#ebizradio - March 3, 2021
- B2B sales has entered a new dimension | #Sales | Shelley Walters |#ebizradio | #Podcast - March 3, 2021
- Create is the most awarded advertising agency in Mozambique | #eBizWires|Article - March 1, 2021
- From the Cape Flats to leading a R400 million start-up | #Leadership | #Kevinbritz | Naomi Basson | Christelle Colman | Elite Risk - March 1, 2021
- The business of podcasting | #Insight | Nicole Engelbrecht | Ingrid von Stein |#ebizradio |#podcast |#ebizradio - March 1, 2021
- GOGO-GADET…..Meet Kyle Shiel – Advanced Life Support Paramedic | Tales from my stethoscope |#ebizradio | # Podcast |#PayItForward - February 25, 2021