Let’s think about that for a second… let’s pay someone to tell us how to run projects in our business, a business we understand better than anyone else.
I challenge this point! No-one will ever know your business as well as you do, however, getting someone in to assist in the implementation of a methodology that governs the way you manage and implement this, now that is a different story all together!
So now that you have taken this action, the most significant decision still awaits – what methodology will be used to guide you to project excellence, what is the supporting toolset required to be implemented to help you achieve this objective?
We all know we need to use technology within our business as it surpasses any other means of achieving productivity and governance …but where to start?
All processes, documents, templates and other resources that can be decided upon, will be determined on the basis of specific outcomes required.
This means that first selecting a methodology to be used can add significant value.
Various sub-processes, including the overall demand management and execution processes, will be put in place. This is a tremendous benefit to the business because the technology solution selected will support processes that have already been implemented and adapted in the business.
Unfortunately, there is some bad news. NO technology solution will just take what you have designed and “work” without serious consulting, configuration and fights with the vendor around the specific solution implementation.
Let’s decide to implement a technology solution first, every vendors dream scenario. You will get promised that this specific solution is configurable and can easily be adapted for whatever methodology or processes you have decided on.
This solution might actually be running very quickly as most vendors today have rapid deployment methods, so you could be up and running within a couple of days. Now starts the change management and training and… the limitations! “Well if you change your processes the solution will be perfect”, sound familiar?
Regrettably there is no easy answer to any of the above-mentioned problem statements and suggestions.
The closest you will get to the holy grail of project management implementations in any form whatsoever, is to do it both at the same time.
Let me explain…It is a proven fact that certain methodologies will work better in certain industries than others, whether these be PMBOK-based, Prince II-based, Agile or the like. This decision will take a little bit of research that is freely available on the internet. What not a lot of people will tell you is that whatever you do, needs to be done at the same time.
Consider these very simple action plans in this decision – they can potentially save you loads of money on expensive consultants and replace redundant technology solutions that simply do not work.
We discuss these points and other relevant ones below:
- Broke, homeless but resilient |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Heidi Poulton |#Wellness |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 22, 2020
- Democratising Investing| #eBizInsights | Sebastian Patel| #Podcast |#FRANC - September 22, 2020
- How 10 minutes can literally change you as a leader |#LTL |#KevinBritz |#Naomi Basson |Nick Howes |#Leadership |#Podcast - September 21, 2020
- #InclusivityMatters |#LTC | Candid Conversation |#KevinBritz |#Podcast | Lauren Britz - September 18, 2020
- Going Dutch and reinventing yourself on a bicycle |#KevinBritz |#LTC |#BjornSalsone |Tanya Kovarsky |#Podcast - September 17, 2020
- How to create a job search strategy to the hidden job market|#LTC |#KevinBritz | Chantelle Botha |#Podcast - September 16, 2020
- Roboteur takes the tedium out of repetitive tasks| #eBizWires | Graham Fry | Podcast - September 16, 2020
- Do you know what Programmatic Media Buying is? |#LetsTalkDigital |#AudreyNaidoo |Ryan Eberlin - September 16, 2020
- WHY DO WE SAY “ I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH” |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Heidi Poulton | Potential Unlimited |#Podcast |#eBizradio - September 15, 2020
- Early investors in 4IR start-ups set to reap rewards | #eBizInisghts | Brett Dawson | Podcast - September 15, 2020