Johannesburg, February 2015 – South Africa’s first youth conference for entrepreneurial creatives, focused on the business aspects of creative career paths, will be held in Johannesburg this month. The conference is also the first independent youth conference in its scale.
From music to fashion, photography to art, film and marketing, South Africa has no shortage of young creative minds with hopes of making a living from their creative talent. But honing a natural flair into a viable business has many challenges.
The Business of Creativity Conference, hosted by I Create We Create (ICWC) education developmental agency and headline sponsor Hanser Pilsener with Joe Public South Africa and VELOCITYAFRIKA, is designed to empower business-minded young creatives to sharpen their entrepreneurial acumen.
“We want to help young people realise that creative careers can be highly viable business ventures and that a passion or hobby and day job can be one and the same thing. But your talent alone is not enough. Creativity is reputed to be about fun and games but the speakers at the conference will show that their success has been a result of hard work, developing and honing certain skill sets and of course, talent,” said Banele Rewo, founder of ICWC.
The Business of Creativity conference will be headlined by Mdu Ntuli of the weekly online comic show Izikhokho Show and Restaurateur Vusi “Blackanese” Kunene. Wandile Zondo, co-founder of Thesis Lifestyle Brand and OkMalumKoolKat, will give a talk titled From Local Idea to Global Brand. Self-taught investment maverick Kganya Kgare will talk about his career journey from unemployed matriculant and call centre agent to becoming an Emerging Markets Economist at Asset Manager Stanlib.
Four interactive panel discussions will feature well-known young entrepreneurial creative names and brands:
The Business of Art: MJ Turpin and Matthew Dean (Kalashnikov Galleri);
- Business, Creativity and Young Women: Zama Phakathi and Ramurai Musekiwa
- The Business of Fashion: Fashion brands DOPE Store, Strussbob’s Nthato Modiselle
- The Business of Music: Musician Lebo “Shugasmakx” Mothibe and Architect, DJ and producer DJ Elque.
A practical Film and Photography workshop will run alongside the Business of Creativity workshop. Lead by one of Africa’s top production companies, VELOCITYAFRIKA, the six-speaker workshop will feature:
VELOCITYAFRIKA Directors Mpho Twala and Zwelethu Radebe (#DemVABoys)
- Voted AFDA’s Best Cinematographer 2010 Ofentse “Unclescrooch” Mwase.
- Leading photography and film practitioners: Musa Nxumalo (How to create conceptual Photography);
- Sherilia Gaspar (Entrepreneurship and event Photography)
- Jeffery Rikhotso (From your blog to Magazines).
The ICWC Conference is sponsored by Hansa Pilsener, VELOCITYAFRIKA, Joe Public and Constitution Hill.
“Hansa is pleased to be involved in this initiative which seeks to up skill young people in creative professionals, who often have so much talent but fall short because they lack the financial and business literacy to succeed,” said Hansa Pilsener General Manager Sarvesh Seetaram.
I Create We Create: The Business of Creativity Youth Conference
WHEN: Saturday, February 28, 2015 from 9am until 4pm
WHERE: Constitution Hill, Johannesburg
COST: Tickets are R40 from www.webtickets.co.za or at Pick n Pay
VELOCITYAFRIKA Film and Photography workshop
COST: Free, limited to 100 people. Register at www.Icreatewecreate.co.za after Monday, February 16, 2015
For more information, full list of speakers and to connect, visit:
Facebook: I Create We Create | Twitter: @ICreateWeCreate | Instagram: I Create We Create and enquiries [email protected]
- For creatives and entrepreneurs who would like to showcase at the event they can contact [email protected]a
- Members of the media are welcome to cover the conference, as well as interview notable speakers, guests and participants. Email [email protected] to arrange for media coverage of the event
- Join the conversation in anticipation of the conference through social media. Tweet your questions and comments by using the
- #ICREATEWECREATE #TALENTISNOTENOUGH #BUSINESSOFCREATIVITY #ICWC2015
- Have you considered living and working in the USA? Reinventing yourself abroad |#LTM |#KevinBritz |#BjornSalsone |Andrea Magni |#Marketing |#Podcast - September 24, 2020
- Vator Pitch? What is it and why do you need one? |#KevinBritz |#LTC |Toyin Ademola |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 23, 2020
- The Attention Economy and its Impact on Media |Donald Mokgale |#LetsTalkDigital |#AudreyNaidoo |#Carat - September 23, 2020
- Broke, homeless but resilient |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Heidi Poulton |#Wellness |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 22, 2020
- Democratising Investing| #eBizInsights | Sebastian Patel| #Podcast |#FRANC - September 22, 2020
- How 10 minutes can literally change you as a leader |#LTL |#KevinBritz |#Naomi Basson |Nick Howes |#Leadership |#Podcast - September 21, 2020
- #InclusivityMatters |#LTC | Candid Conversation |#KevinBritz |#Podcast | Lauren Britz - September 18, 2020
- Going Dutch and reinventing yourself on a bicycle |#KevinBritz |#LTC |#BjornSalsone |Tanya Kovarsky |#Podcast - September 17, 2020
- How to create a job search strategy to the hidden job market|#LTC |#KevinBritz | Chantelle Botha |#Podcast - September 16, 2020
- Roboteur takes the tedium out of repetitive tasks| #eBizWires | Graham Fry | Podcast - September 16, 2020