Despite the amount of jobs being available in the IT industry increasing, the talent pool for IT security is not growing…..Many of the people in the industry have been there since the sector began to take off in the late 90’s with little ”new blood” findings it way into IT security, we discuss this conundrum today with Rian vanboom of MWR infosecurity.
Further, within the local security industry, there is too great a focus on hiring senior consultants therefore many organisations neglect new talent. The expense to businesses in this regard is high as the salaries of experienced consultants continues to grow at a phenomenal rate.
As such, these consultants are often stretched to capacity and therefore not adequately equipped with the support they need to properly manage the organisation’s cyber risk.
There is also a general lack of awareness in South Africa regarding the fact that cyber security is an actual career path (rather than a mere pass time). Such factors – among others – have led to the shortage on both a global and local level.
To address this, a long, term strategic plan needs to be put in place in order to firstly educate students on the fact that a professional and rewarding career in “hacking” is possible.
Guidance regarding what they need to focus on in terms of their studies etc must be relayed to them as early on as possible.
Secondly, organisations need to incorporate and realise the importance of taking on selected graduates/juniors in possession of the right skillset and insights in order to train and develop them further, thereby assisting in generating more talent for the industry.
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021