Despite the amount of jobs being available in the IT industry increasing, the talent pool for IT security is not growing…..Many of the people in the industry have been there since the sector began to take off in the late 90’s with little ”new blood” findings it way into IT security, we discuss this conundrum today with Rian vanboom of MWR infosecurity.
Further, within the local security industry, there is too great a focus on hiring senior consultants therefore many organisations neglect new talent. The expense to businesses in this regard is high as the salaries of experienced consultants continues to grow at a phenomenal rate.
As such, these consultants are often stretched to capacity and therefore not adequately equipped with the support they need to properly manage the organisation’s cyber risk.
There is also a general lack of awareness in South Africa regarding the fact that cyber security is an actual career path (rather than a mere pass time). Such factors – among others – have led to the shortage on both a global and local level.
To address this, a long, term strategic plan needs to be put in place in order to firstly educate students on the fact that a professional and rewarding career in “hacking” is possible.
Guidance regarding what they need to focus on in terms of their studies etc must be relayed to them as early on as possible.
Secondly, organisations need to incorporate and realise the importance of taking on selected graduates/juniors in possession of the right skillset and insights in order to train and develop them further, thereby assisting in generating more talent for the industry.
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020