Arthur is back for another episode of eBizTechnology.
Today we will be discussing foldable phones.
Foldable devices are a long-awaited disrupter in the smartphone market, exciting leading-edge early adopters keen for a bold new type of device. But the acceptance of foldable devices by mainstream segments will depend on the extent to which the current barriers to adoption are addressed.
Major brands have been throwing their foldable bets into the hat to see what the market wants from a foldable, namely how big the screens should be and how the devices should fold. Samsung and Huawei have both designed devices that unfold from smartphones to tablets, each with their own method of how the devices go about folding. Motorola has recently designed a smartphone that folds in half, and it resembles a flip phone.
Assessing consumer desire for foldable smartphones, a new report from the User Experience Strategies group at Strategy Analytics has found that the perceived value of the foldable form does not outweigh the added cost.
Key report findings include:
- The idea of having a larger-displayed smartphone in a portable size is perceived as valuable to the vast majority of consumers in the UK and the US. But, willingness to pay extra for a foldable device does not align with the desire to purchase one. Manufacturers must understand that there will be low sell-through until costs come down.
- But as the acceptance for traditional smartphone display sizes continues to increase, so does the imposed friction of trying to use them one-handed. Unless a foldable phone has a wider folded state, entering text when closed is too cumbersome, forcing users to utilize two hands to enter text, when in the opened state.
- Use cases need to be adequately demonstrated for consumers to fully understand and appreciate the potential for a foldable phone, though their priorities seemed fixed on promoting ‘two devices in one’ equaling a better video viewing experience. Identification and promotion of meaningful new use cases will be vital to success.
Christopher Dodge, Associate Director, UXIP and report author said: “As multitasking will look to be a core selling point for foldable phones, it is imperative that the execution be simplified and intuitive. Our data suggests there are a lot of uncertainties that come with foldable phone ownership, stemming mainly from concerns with durability and size, in addition to concerns over enhanced use cases.
“But our data also shows that when the consumers are able to use a foldable phone in hand, there is a solid reduction of doubt and concern about the concept. This means that the in-store experience may more important than ever in driving awareness, capabilities, and potential use cases.”
Said Paul Brown, Director, UXIP: “The big question is whether the perceived value will outweigh the added cost; and the initial response from consumers is ‘no.’ The ability for foldable displays to resolve real consumer pain-points is, in our view critical to whether these devices will become a niche segment of the smartphone market or the dominant form-factor of the future. Until costs come down, these devices will not take off.”
- The importance of de-motivation and motivation | #Leadership | #LunchtimeLeadership | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - August 2, 2021
- The great AI smokescreen | #Technology | #Insight | Richard Firth | MIP Holdings | #ebizradio - August 2, 2021
- Social Media and Entrepreneurs | Word of Mouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Bridgette Matjuda | #Entrepreneur | #ebizradio - August 1, 2021
- WHY BUSINESS CAN NO LONGER IGNORE GAMING IN AFRICA | #Insight | #Gaming | Barry Louzada | Mettlestate | #ebizradio - August 1, 2021
- Does South Africa have a branding problem? | #LTM | #LunchtimeMarketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | Thebe Ikalafeng | #Marketing | #ebizradio | #Podcast - July 29, 2021
- Human capital from a different view | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Robyn Shirley | Regenesys | Human Resources | #Podcast | #ebizradio - July 28, 2021
- How do you get a promotion in these times? | Change Conversations with Mpume | Mabatho Takalo | #Careers | #Insight | #Podcast | #ebizradio - July 27, 2021
- The essence of luxury | AXOR ONE |#Lifestyle | #Design | Barber Osgerby | #ebizradio - July 27, 2021
- LOCAL GAMING CONTENT HUB GIVES SA STREAMERS A CHANCE TO SHINE | #Gaming | #Esport | Mettlestate | #ebizradio - July 27, 2021
- You equate money with your self worth – Its time to change that | #BrunchWithBjorn |#Money | Jade Fedder | Jade Coaching | #Podcast | #ebizradio | Björn Salsone - July 27, 2021