Programmatic media marketing is one of the most effective and exciting means for clients to get the most for their buck – provided their agencies take a client-centred approach.
Programmatic media is the process of buying media in an automated fashion, through technologies such as exchanges, trading desks, and demand side platforms. This form of marketing uses real time algorithms and rules to deliver data-driven, targeted customer experiences, in the form of advertising across owned, earned and paid channels.
Effective programmatic media marketing provides tangible benefits, including: online awareness, increased traffic and sales, as well as further insights into product market saturation, target markets, customer journeys, media effectiveness and digital elements.
New approaches needed
As this media segment continues to grow, so must the approach of the businesses that offer programmatic media marketing in South Africa. Too many in the industry use the ‘supplier clutter’ and ‘push to client’ sales approach, which greatly adds to the confusion brands and agencies face when considering options for their digital campaigns.
In general, when a sales focused business enters this market space clients hear phrases such as “exchange” and “rate card”. This clouds what makes programmatic media one of the most powerful media products on the market. By driving the sales house revenue and not focusing on the client’s core objectives, this rate carded approach can only drive a price versus volume dialectic and does not allow for the full utilisation of the service or technology.
At its core and with the vast amount of data available and the many variables in each campaign, what is needed is human expertise to plan, execute and live manage the campaign, pushing the capabilities of the automated systems.
Managing the buying of the media within a programmatic media campaign does not merely refer to pressing play on a ‘rate carded solution’ and pushing as much inventory as possible, but rather on understanding all facets of a client’s KPIs and implementing a managed approach to each set of these objectives.
The key to success for this media is ensuring the human capital of the business understands the need to move away from generic RTB in order to construct meaningful solutions for every campaign which takes cognisance of the client’s overall business and product objectives.
As such, programmatic media solutions should focus their engagements with clients on education, capabilities, market understanding and a controlled approach to media buying, during the entire lifecycle of the relationship with client.
Craig Utermark is CEO of Atmosphere Orange, a digital agency that provides holistic solutions to media that are driven by data and programmatic technology.
- Sharing more about RETT SYNDROME and how you can help! | #BusinessBrunch | Bjorn Salsone | #PayItForward | Rett-SA | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Equality, diversity and inclusion – starts with YOU | #Insights | #Diversity | Pabi Mogosetsi | Universum Global | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Cyber Security Awareness Month Is a Good Time to Review Your Payroll Provider | #Insights | Sandra Crous | PaySpace | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Motoring News of the Week | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 25, 2021
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021