Since 2015, large protests have been held by tertiary education students across the country on university campuses over the high fees to get a degree, even worse is the yearly tuition increases are normally above that of inflation, making education more expensive each year.
In essence the students are demanding that fees no longer rise and that education be even more subsidized. The demonstrations also highlight incredible frustration with the economic make-up of our country, one that has not changed nearly enough since 1994.
On this edition of #eBizTrends, Dion Chang from Flux Trends tackles this thorny topic, but his view is that the movement has ”picked the wrong battle in the right war”:
The value of a degree is decreasing internationally as companies are beginning to search for staff that are adaptable and able to deal with multiple skills in a fast changing marketplace.
We discuss #FeesMustFall from a different angle below.Dion Chang is the founder of Flux Trends. For more trends visit:
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020