Just because someone says you’ve won a small fortune, or inherited it, doesn’t mean it’s legitimate, writes Sarel Lamprecht, MD of Phishield, a provider of cyber insurance.
Have you been offered a part-time job via email, or had someone want to confirm an order and ask for you to click on a link? Or perhaps someone has told you that you’re an heir to a small fortune, or they have a business deal they want your help with or even – for the greedy – they need your help to smuggle mega bucks out of some or other war torn country.
Some of these emails are laughable and obviously scams, but many look like the real deal. The only reason they keep coming is because people keep clicking.
If the scammers only have a 1% success rate, that’s enough to keep them sending.
So here are a few tips and tricks, and red flags to keep yourself protected
- Is the mail from someone you really don’t know?
- Is there a link in the mail, which is .html?
- Does the link direct you to a page that requires you to enter all your details, including email address and password?
- When you check the sender of the mail, did it come from some sort of a mailing list, or even your own email?
- Did the mail purport to be personal, but your address is in the blind carbon copy (BCC) line?
- Does the mail pretend to be from your bank, but when you mouse over the link it’s nothing at all like the address you usually type in?
Here’s what’s happening:
Some scammer is trying to con you into handing over your log ins to a secure site, such as your bank’s – because we can’t all remember a gazzilion passwords, right? Or, the scammer could be trying to social engineer you – a process whereby they gain enough information on you to friend you on Facebook, which allows them to gather more information.
Do you have any idea how much can be found out once you have a name, surname and address? It’s scary how much information we have out there about ourselves.
So, how do you protect yourself? Some aspects are obvious, such as, if you haven’t filed a tax return, then you aren’t getting a refund. But, since most of us hope for that windfall, we may be tempted.
Here’s what to do:
- Don’t click the link, type in the address you always use;
- Keep your antivirus software up to date;
- If you are in the BCC line and not the TO line, it’s a scam that has gone to many, many others;
- If the link is .html and the body of the email indicates it’s a document, or PDF, don’t click – html is web script; and the scammers want your details.
- Check the links they want you to click on – does it end in something unusual like .cz or .co? Don’t even think about it.
- Don’t know the sender? Perhaps have IT have a look first.
- Protect yourself with cyber insurance in case of the worst case scenario
Behing the scenes – Phishield is the world’s first cyber and phishing insurance. Phishield provides cover against fraudulent online purchases, card fraud, phishing scams, as well as fraudulent EFT funds transfers and in-app purchases.
Phishield was established by a group of entrepreneurs from various backgrounds, industries and disciplines, forming global partnerships with security and insurance companies to provide consumers with an affordable cover against loss of funds suffered through cyber and transactional theft.
- Why learning and development matters – An empowered employee shares his thoughts | #Insights | Tebogo Sethabela | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 28, 2021
- Diversity and inclusion in the workplace promotes creativity and productivity | #LunchtimeSeries | #Marketing | #Insights | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 28, 2021
- Valuable and Purposefully Giving this Social Development Month | Pay It Forward | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Is the option to work from home inclusive and diverse? | #Insight | #Business | #HR | Devan Moonsamy | ICHAF | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Sharing more about RETT SYNDROME and how you can help! | #BusinessBrunch | Bjorn Salsone | #PayItForward | Rett-SA | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Equality, diversity and inclusion – starts with YOU | #Insights | #Diversity | Pabi Mogosetsi | Universum Global | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Cyber Security Awareness Month Is a Good Time to Review Your Payroll Provider | #Insights | Sandra Crous | PaySpace | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Motoring News of the Week | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 25, 2021
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021