It’s quite common that many of us (myself included) have certain perceptions of ‘white’ magazines and ‘black’ radio stations. It’s quite natural for us to have certain misconceptions about race profiles of media as, when many marketers started out in the game, the world was a very different place to today.
It also doesn’t help that many magazines, which are read by a full spectrum of society, still feature mostly white faces on the cover each month.
These stats show a big difference between the perception of most marketers and the reality. There is still much work to go, but it’s in the right direction. This data really does go to show that the filter of ‘race’ in media is close to becoming irrelevant.
Some key stats:
You: 55% Black, 20% White
Men’s Health: 64% Black, 17% White
Car Magazine: 50% Black, 25% White
Cosmo: 57% Black, 19% White 5FM: 57% Black, 27% White
CapeTalk: 50% Black, 26% Coloured, 21% White
Jacaranda: 44% Black, 50% White
Highveld 94.7: 40% Black, 42% White
CINEMA & TV
Cinema: 57% Black, 20% White
DSTV Premium: 35% Black, 43% White
DSTV Compact: 85% Black, 5% White
SABC3 (Includes Espresso): 79% Black, 8% White
The Argus/Cape Times: 40% Black, 37% Coloured ,20% White
Sunday Times: 74% Black, 12% White
Business Day: 61% Black, 27% White
All stats are from completely independent sources – AMPS 2015, Roots 2013, and TGI (they all tell the same story).
- Making news headlines this week | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 21, 2022
- Motoring News – Chery Tiggo 8 – Suzuki V-Storm DL-650 | #Motoring | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 21, 2022
- The State We’re In 2022 – Six Trend Pillars for this year | #Trends | #Insight | Dion Chang | Flux Trends | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2022
- Female Leadership – Success Factors and Barriers to Overcome | #Insight | #ChangeConversations | Mpume Ncube-Daka | Moloko Komane | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2022
- Taming the ‘black swan’ gives rise to the Gig economy | #Opinion | #Mamiki Matlawa | Qunu Staffing | #ebizradio - January 17, 2022
- In the news this week | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 14, 2022
- BE BOLD, BE BRAVE | #UnscriptedLife | Clive Vanderwagen | Craig Urbani |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 14, 2022
- Are you thinking of buying a pre-owned 4×4? | #Motoring | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 13, 2022
- How Paying it Forward in business changes the environment | #LTC | Lunchtime Series | Kevin Britz | Helen Martin | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 12, 2022
- How professionals create good money habits | Change Conversations | Mpume Ncube Daka | Amanda Dambuza | #ebizradio | #Podcast - January 11, 2022