Steady growth in popularity of Compound Pharmacies
Imagine a world where every patient’s prescription is tailor-made just for him or her. Where they get a daily tailored 18mg dose of a specific drug they require, instead of only the 25mg that’s commercially available. Before pharmaceutical manufacturers started producing drugs in mass quantities, compounding was the standard means of providing prescription medications. Now the Compounding Pharmacy of South Africa (CPSA) is reintroducing this individually focussed service, combining it with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology. Their specially trained professionals prepare customised medications to meet each patient’s exclusive and specific needs.
“We intimately understand that when it comes to our patients, one size does not fit all, hence the strength, ingredients and dosage form are tailored to each individual,” says Dhivia Naidoo, MD of CPSA.
CPSA is fulfilling the demand for professional compounding that is increasing as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms commercially available don’t meet the needs of many patients – and that these patients often have a better response to a customised dosage form that’s “just what the doctor ordered”. This follows a growing international trend – especially in the US, there are now more than 8 000 compounding pharmacies.
Because the effectiveness of any formulation is directly related to its preparation, your choice of compounding pharmacy is of vital importance.
CPSA is the only pharmacy in South Africa to have board-certified pharmacists qualified in functional medicine. Their clinical pharmacist, David Arthur, consults daily with patients and is sought after to lecture at various medical conferences. Ongoing training for pharmacy personnel, international collaboration utilising the latest state-of-the-art equipment and sourcing high-quality raw materials are the strategic elements that make CPSA so unique. These fundamental features, combined with their recently constructed GMP laboratory, set the benchmark for compounding pharmacies in South Africa.
Furthermore, it is CPSA’s emphasis on a more personal, educational, innovation-driven and patient-centric approach that distinguishes them from conventional pharmacies. They’re redefining the term retail pharmacy by providing a very exclusive service offering:
- Patient-specific compounded medications
- Competitive prescription pricing
- Integrative treatment options
- Unique formulations
- Education to healthcare practitioners and public
- Counselling on disease management and wellness strategies
- Collaboration with physicians, veterinarians, other health professionals and health maintenance organisations
- Highly skilled pharmacists and assistants who undergo continuous training and development
A significant development is the establishment of The Compounding Pharmacies Training Academy, educationally partnered with the prestigious American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and the Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) in the US. This partnership makes the revolutionary field of functional medicine available to South African healthcare providers who can now qualify with a fellowship in functional medicine from the University of South Florida in the US – made more affordable thanks to the sponsorship of CPSA and MMI. The five modules give practitioners exposure to cutting-edge techniques and world-renowned experts in various fields of practice.
CPSA also offers local training for healthcare practioners at their world-class compounding laboratory. The facility has been well thought out, taking cognisance of South African and international guidelines, standards and legislation. While minimum rules and ethics are set by regulatory bodies, CPSA have opted to go over and above and do the maximum.
“The Compounding Pharmacy of South Africa will continue to push boundaries and explore new frontiers in order to deliver the very best products and positive outcomes for our patients’ medical needs, while remaining at the forefront of cutting-edge formulations and latest medical innovations in the world of functional medicine,” says Naidoo.
- It is all about the money, or is it? |#LTS |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz | #Podcast | #CandidConversations |#Business |#ebizradio - October 23, 2020
- The marketing story behind The Good Things Guy |#KevinBritz |#Brent Lindeque |#BjornSalsone |#Marketing | #Podcast |#ebizradio - October 22, 2020
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020