There is currently a massive PR and legal battle occurring between the cellphone companies of South Africa: One side includes MTN and Vodacom, the other is Cell C and Telkom Mobile/8ta, stuck in the middle is ICASA, South Africa’s telecommunications regulator…..
At the heart of the current struggle is the rate that cellular companies charge for connections between their networks and others. The price of a connection between say a Cell C customer and a MTN one is capped at 40c for the phone call (the same price applies for connections between any two differing networks). ICASA recently decided to lower that cap to 20c. The smaller networks are publicly behind this decision, whilst the larger companies of MTN and Vodacom are against it.
What began as a disagreement has now evolved into a full scale PR war being waged on social and print media, with courtroom proceedings expected as well. Ulrich discusses the current situation, as well as the general state of the telecommunications industry…..
MTN advert defending their actions and positions:
Below is Cell C’s brilliant response (without taking sides, one can still see how brilliant from a PR perspective the response was):
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020