Today eBizRadio chats to Glynis Mackenzie, a Female Entrepreneur based in Johannesburg South Africa about her company Living Purpose and what it brings to the marketplace. A highlight of the interview was how she has successfully franchised the business, spurring more vitally needed Female Entrepreneurship!
Can the right clothes make you an effective leader?
- Glynis Mackenzie, experienced coach, consultant and speaker has some interesting thoughts around the fact that although clothing and leadership at first seems obscure, in actual fact, fashion in the workplace is anything but frivolous. She has a keen understanding of the vital role that your clothes play in your professional life.
- Contrary to believe that clothing has little to do with following trends and everything to do with building your unique personal style. She believes that once you discover your true style, your clothes becomes a means to an end, rather than an end in themselves.
- Dressing to your own unique style cultivates creativity, self-confidence and authenticity – all attributes which are vital for leadership. And considering that women leaders in SA are in short supply and given the implications of the Women Empowerment and Gender Equality (WEGE) bill, this is crucial for women in business.
- Glynis developed the True Self Style Words concept where she helps one identify words that best describes yourself/personality. Once you’ve chosen your words and have narrowed them down to about 5 (from a list of about 200 attributes) one can clearly see why certain clothes makes you feel more confident than others e.g. if your “true style words” are “feminine”, “gentle”, “playful” etc., then it’s quite clear why you are never able to leave the house with that camo jacket that you always want to wear but take off before you leave the front door.
- We all know that if one is comfortable in our clothes the actual clothing becomes irrelevant as you radiate confidence and even authority. And this is what’s needed in the workplace and everyday life.
Through her engaging and entertaining workshops, Glynis has helped countless women in such high profile organisations as Accenture, Adcock Ingram, Sanlam, Cell C, Avroy Schlain and RandWater to empower themselves by helping them understand how they can use clothing to cultivate their creativity, self-confidence and authenticity – all attributes which are vital for leadership.
Glynis believes that, while the right outfit can make you feel ready to take charge, wearing clothes that don’t reflect your purpose, or which do not resonate with your lifestyle, drain you of your energy.
In the workplace, where so much depends on your assertiveness and ability to make yourself stand out, this can have a significant impact on your career.
With this in mind, Glynis maintains that clothing has little to do with following trends, and everything to do with building a unique personal style that contributes to self-esteem. This makes for polished professionalism, helping your exert your influence – and, given the fact that women leaders in South Africa are in short supply, this is crucial for women in business.
It’s vital for companies too, given the implications of the Women Empowerment and Gender Equality (WEGE) Bill, which stipulates that companies must do everything they can to develop strategies, frameworks and policies to encourage the development of women in the workplace, whilst removing causes of discrimination.
Glynis helps businesswomen uncover their true potential through her True Self Style Words concept. It works by focussing your understanding on your leadership strengths and attributes. Would you describe yourself as‘hands-on’, or do you prefer to give others the tools they need, and then let them manage themselves?
Once you have identified your leadership style, Glynis will help you create a personal style to match this. Her three-hour Shopping in Your Wardrobe sessions help you sift through the clothes and accessories you already have in your wardrobe to enable you to select and create outfits that show the world exactly who you are and what you stand for – a unique approach combining coaching and styling.
This method is not about creating a ‘new you’. Rather, it’s intended to show you how clothes can be an effective tool for self-discovery.
The Shopping in Your Wardrobe session helps you to:
- · Polish your professionalism by giving you the foundation to advance your career.
- · Uncover your core attributes through using True Self Style Words.
- · Shop more effectively, by choosing clothes that reflect your true style.
- · Ensure you are ‘boardroom ready’ for life.
Glynis tailors each presentation to suit the needs of the individual and the organisation. The result? Increased inspiration, motivation and effectiveness – in short, an empowered team ready to lead the way.
To find out more about Glynis’ corporate or individual sessions, contact 082 551 4985 or visit www.livingonpurpose.co.za
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021