On any given day, 300 million women and girls around the world will be menstruating. Sadly, according to a recent report by the United Nations’ Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, the majority of those women and girls will not have access to clean and safe sanitary products and instead use dirty rags, straw, sand or newspaper to manage their periods.
Furthermore, the grave lack of appropriate sanitary products can push menstruating girls out of school temporarily and sometimes even permanently.
Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network, Sub-Saharan Africa
In South Africa, most rural girls and many urban township girls miss approximately one week of school per month whilst they are menstruating – equating to 12 weeks per year. What this means is that that are missing a quarter of their school education.
With its vision of providing a platform for the inspiration and empowerment of women, the Businesswomen’s Association of South Africa’s (BWACT) launched its ‘Girls Becoming Women with Dignity’ project in 2013 with the support of Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network and BWACT’s Corporate Business Woman of the Year 2013. They launched the project at the Zamisa Primary School in Langa, Western Cape and most recently at Beacon School in Mitchell’s Plein.
Lana Marias, Communications Manager, Dentsu Aegis Network pictured with some of the pupils at Beach School
- It is all about the money, or is it? |#LTS |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz | #Podcast | #CandidConversations |#Business |#ebizradio - October 23, 2020
- The marketing story behind The Good Things Guy |#KevinBritz |#Brent Lindeque |#BjornSalsone |#Marketing | #Podcast |#ebizradio - October 22, 2020
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020