BP Southern Africa has launched their Fresh Range of food – the first of its kind for forecourt convenience stores in South Africa – with the support of Cape-based agency Fresh Advertising and Marketing.
“Surprisingly, health foods are still not commonplace in forecourt convenience stores,” explains Philip Bence, Operations Convenience Manager, BP. “With the exception of Woolworths convenience stores, forecourt stores have not yet tapped into the overwhelming trend towards healthier lifestyles… until now.”
“With the growing trend towards healthier foods has come an emphasis on slow foods and creating your own meals from scratch, but the reality is that people, though more health conscious, are no less busy. Our range consists of healthy home meal replacements for time deprived people. In addition to fresh fruit and vegetables, the range includes baked goods for home consumption or as healthy takeaway alternatives.”
“Knowing that consumers first eat with their eyes, we decided on a creative look and feel with lots of appetite appeal, when you drive past a petrol station you do not associate it with yummy healthy food alternatives and this was the job that we needed to do,” explains Natasha McClymont, Managing Director of FreshAM. “Packaging and marketing materials needed to endorse a sense of quality and tell our consumers at a glance that we are selling good quality convenience food alternatives. BP is new to this space and so we still have to build credibility with consumers. This is maintained, of course, through the products themselves, but first customers must be coerced into giving the products a try.”
“Presentation was critical,” explains McClymont. “In January this year we did a six day photo shoot with a top team of food stylists and photographers. The results were fantastic! Due to the seasonality of the Fresh Range, we needed to consider specific point of sale imagery for different times of the year.”
“Once photography was complete, a team of designers and finishing artists created the product packaging and point of sale materials.”
“At Fresh we are firm believers in internal launches. We believe that for a product or range to find success at the consumer level, the marketing of that product needs to be correctly understood and implemented by the internal staff and franchisees. In this case we organised an internal launch. Franchisees from participating sites received a hand delivered personlised invitation in the form of a brown paper bag which contained some tasty samples to the launch workshop.”
“At the workshop the franchisees were introduced to the various ranges which include products from both Calorie Conscious and Thistle Bakery as well as to the online ordering system and the supporting point of sales materials.”
“We launched the Fresh Range at 50 sites over two days, working like elves through the night to merchandise stores and dress them with the eye catching point of sale elements both on the forecourts and inside the shops. Sites were supported by launch teams consisting of a BP Convenience team member, a merchandiser and a Fresh AM team member.”
“We have been blown away by the uptake of the Fresh Range,” says Troy Maidwell, Retail Convenience Manager BPSA. “It has far surpassed our expectations across the board and we attribute this to a combination of the clear gap in the market for healthy convenience foods, the outstanding presentation of the Fresh Range and the buy in from our franchisees”.
Keep a look out at your participating BP sites in the Western Cape as we launch the Fresh Range on the 28th and 29th May 2014!
- Ground One Coffee is stirring it up! | #LTM | Lunchtime Marketing | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | Shane Radebe | Letsi Mailula | #Podcast | #ebizradio | Hollard Insure - November 25, 2021
- Roche launches cobas pureintegrated solutions analyser to help simplify operations in small to medium sized labs |#News | #Medical | Roche Diagnostics Sandra Orta - November 24, 2021
- Young artists invited to illustrate the spirit of wealth | Ubuntu Invest | Art | Neliswe Msango |Competition | #ebizradio | #Podcast - November 24, 2021
- Excuse Me | Unscripted Life | Clive Vanderwagen | Bongi Archi | #SupportLocal | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 23, 2021
- Every behavior is driven by a motivation | #LTL | Leadership | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- South Africa’s most attractive Employers – Universum Global demystifies the new employment landscape | #HumanResources | #Insight | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- In the NEWS – the week that was | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #eBizradio | #Podcast - November 19, 2021
- Let all children know they’re loved this – Universal Children’s Day | #News | Dr Jerry Gule | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - November 19, 2021
- THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS – A story of a movie that shaped an entrepreneur’s vision | #Opinion | Nelisiwe Masngo | Ubuntu Invest | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021
- The Firstwatch Entrepreneurial Challenge 2021 is live | #Entrepreneur | Simo Nzama | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021