Having ‘ticked off the proverbial list’ surviving breast cancer while building a career and taking care of a family, you’d think Henrietta van Kramberg, Refilwe Sedumedi, Nqobile Mazibuko, Ntokoza Dludla and Soso Thamae would have had their fill of challenging themselves.
Instead of just getting on with their lives after being given the ‘all clear’, they opted – each in their own way – to dispel the myths that exist around breast cancer and raise awareness for the disease.
But last month they came together to do something really special. United in their desire to do something extra-ordinary to celebrate their individual journeys and prove that there is life after being diagnosed with breast cancer, they flew to Nepal to trek to Everest Base Camp as part of the EBC 2016: One Step at a Time expedition, so called because, once diagnosed with cancer, a person lives his or her life one day at a time.
The trek was organised by Streetschool Development Journeys (www.streetschool.co.za) and the Breast Health Foundation (www.mybreast.org.za), which works in a multi-disciplinary approach from grass roots level to reach out, educate, diagnose and offer definitive care to all suffering from the disease.
Streetschool Development Journeys specialises in personal development with a strong emphasis on individual learning from personal experience. The most exciting part of its offering is the experiential journeys to the Tibetan exile community in Northern India and expeditions to Nepal.
Founder Klasie Wessels, who led the expedition, had nothing but praise for the five ladies, their bravery and resilience. “I’m no stranger to courage and determination; I see it regularly during the courses I run and the trips I lead to India and Nepal. But I have been inspired by that shown by these five fierce and passionate women,” he said.
While in Nepal, the group met up with the Nepal Breast Cancer Foundation, and shared stories and discussed the unique challenges women in Nepal face when diagnosed with breast cancer and undergoing treatment.
We chat today to one of these amazing Woman, Henrietta van Kramberg.
- How to innovate in publishing – Pivoting the publishing industry toward purpose |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth |Arthur Attwell - October 26, 2020
- Load shedding wrecks work from home strategies | #eBizInsights| Richard Firth - October 26, 2020
- Are you keeping up with the latest Leadership trends? |#LTL |#Leadership |#Podcast |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Ian Dawson - October 26, 2020
- It is all about the money, or is it? |#LTS |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz | #Podcast | #CandidConversations |#Business |#ebizradio - October 23, 2020
- The marketing story behind The Good Things Guy |#KevinBritz |#Brent Lindeque |#BjornSalsone |#Marketing | #Podcast |#ebizradio - October 22, 2020
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020