Want a bohemian stay in the most fascinating part of Cape Town? Observatory (or just Obs) is the most fascinating part of Cape Town. Nowhere else does the best city in the world (yes, Cape Town!) show so many sides of itself. And our Bohemian Lofts are in the centre of this little universe.
Obs is truly bohemian: Students and trade union officials, tourists and artists, festivals and events, old timers and African expats, burlesque shows and beer, music and food, books, bunny chow and bourbon. During the Apartheid years (to the early 90s) Obs was one of the few areas that managed to cling onto its ‘grey-ness’. Everyone belonged then … and everyone still belongs.
Our hostel is situated in the most beautiful old character building, previously a museum of contemporary art, with perfectly weathered Oregon wooden floors, sash widows and doors-with-personality (each one telling a story). From the balcony you can survey the whole of the Cape Peninsula before you or the life of life on the world famous Lower Main Rd below you. Then you can easily join the buzz and finally retire to your comfortable room for a well-earned rest.
We’re affordable, funky and clean and we care about your safety. We’d love to meet you and hope to see you soon. Yes, we are a backpackers (a youth hostel), but we hope that we can also be a real home to you for a while.
We offer a free basic breakfast every morning of tea, coffee, toast and spreads. This is available between 6am and 10am.
We offer free unlimited wifi internet in our communal areas as well as our en-suite rooms. We also offer free use of our guest computer.
A former museum of contemporary art – is stunning. You will love its character, personality, looks and, yes, also it s functionality. Come experience our perfect-for-sunrise-watching and perfect-for-people-watching balcony: There are few streets as interesting as Lower Main Road. And then you may also be fascinated by some of our other building quirks such as our 30 feet high bathroom skylight – Too many to mention.
And we can help you make the most of your stay through a great range of exciting day trips such as to Cape Point, wine tasting, Cape Malay cooking tours (and much more). We can even help you with your onward travel through other parts of South Africa and Africa.
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Since SA has have moved to level 1 lock-down, what effect is this having on the markets? | #Insights | #Trading | Zihad Israel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021