For years, backup and security have been a grudge purchase. This is changing as the number of high profile breaches grow exponentially, but too many companies still don’t give backup the same emphasis in their cyber security planning that they do with other security solutions.
This, says JC / Garry, is because backup has traditionally been sold as a disaster recovery and business continuity tool, with little to no crossover into the security space. “In an age of rampant threats, there is a growing interest in data-centric security. More and more organisations are focusing on the protection of data, but when they think about security, tools such as firewalls and AV spring to mind. Backup is a vital security area that is often overlooked, and it underpins other security approaches by preventing data loss,” he explains.
“With the surge in hacks we have seen over the past year, not to mention the massive GDPR fines that have been levied, cyber security has become critical to the entire business. Companies are aware that they need to stay ahead of cyber threats, and that they need the right technology. However, the combination of the global cyber security skills shortage and increasing demands for digitisation have put many into the position where they are not just playing a catch-up game, but where some are not managing their risk effectively.”
This provides a golden opportunity for the channel, JC / Garry adds. “Distributors and resellers have the opportunity to be heroes. By addressing pain points for their customers and providing assurance around the security of their IT environments, the channel can deepen engagements with customers, while adding valuable margin to their revenues. Finding ways to augment and expand existing services is really important in a crowded market, and offering extra security is the perfect way to get customers to stand up and pay attention.”
Backup is the logical springboard for these kinds of conversations, he says. “Organisations of all sizes have invested into their backup environment, and adding a layer of security on to that is a no-brainer. In some cases, this will provide the opportunity to go beyond a straight resell opportunity to offering additional services such as management and support, which can generate ongoing revenue.”
Acronis has taken this opportunity even further for channel partners. Providing solutions that have built-in ransomware protection – the only backup and storage technology on the market to do so – Acronis offers peace of mind for end users while creating opportunities for partners to generate value adds for their customers.
“We are living in the age of ransomware, and data security has never been more important. Protecting data from unauthorised access, preventing it from being corrupted and ensuring it’s always available to legitimate users is a top priority for companies. A key part of data security is a strong backup solution like Acronis Backup 12.5 or Acronis True Image, which not only protect from data loss but go the extra mile to stop ransomware before it can wreak havoc,” says Garry / JC.
“By combining these capabilities into one product, we are helping end users stay ahead of attack, and we are helping to our channel partners to start new conversations with their customers. Data security is a concern common to every business, so it’s easy to understand why so many channel partners take a one size fits all approach when selling security solutions. Just like any other solution, security should be personalised to fit the unique needs of your customer, and backup must form an essential part of that,” he concludes.
- New uses for Commercial Office Space| #eBizTrends | Dion Chang | Podcasts - September 28, 2020
- Why cultivating leadership is imperative to every organisation! |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Passmore Matupire |#Podcast |#Leadership |#ebizradio - September 28, 2020
- Have you considered living and working in the USA? Reinventing yourself abroad |#LTM |#KevinBritz |#BjornSalsone |Andrea Magni |#Marketing |#Podcast - September 24, 2020
- Vator Pitch? What is it and why do you need one? |#KevinBritz |#LTC |Toyin Ademola |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 23, 2020
- The Attention Economy and its Impact on Media |Donald Mokgale |#LetsTalkDigital |#AudreyNaidoo |#Carat - September 23, 2020
- Broke, homeless but resilient |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Heidi Poulton |#Wellness |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 22, 2020
- Democratising Investing| #eBizInsights | Sebastian Patel| #Podcast |#FRANC - September 22, 2020
- How 10 minutes can literally change you as a leader |#LTL |#KevinBritz |#Naomi Basson |Nick Howes |#Leadership |#Podcast - September 21, 2020
- #InclusivityMatters |#LTC | Candid Conversation |#KevinBritz |#Podcast | Lauren Britz - September 18, 2020
- Going Dutch and reinventing yourself on a bicycle |#KevinBritz |#LTC |#BjornSalsone |Tanya Kovarsky |#Podcast - September 17, 2020