It’s almost the end of Woman’s Month and thankfully we have come a long way from receiving advice on how to become a better housewife or a super secretary. As a generation to grow up after the first waves of feminism we have much to celebrate, one of which is career opportunities not afforded to many women before us, albeit among challenges that still exist. Embarking on your chosen career path, what does it take to become an established member of the team and shape your professional trajectory? Laurika Fourie the Product Manager at 21st Century (Pty) Ltd of 21st Century Pay Solutions offers a few tips:
Initiating change starts with you: Take opportunities presented to you even if you feel you are not ready. There is great wisdom in the advice “fake it ’til you make it”. Think of the women who have come before you, many of them took advantage of the opportunities they were presented with and you should do the same. Confidence is key so just jump in and do it.
Trust those with experience: Understand your boss and accept that he/she is more experienced than you are. You may not get along as such but you can always learn from your boss with the long term goal of advancing your career. Think of your relationship as a process of discovery. If your boss values communication, communicate, if they value details, provide details. Always be willing to take on the work assigned, within reason, and go the extra mile wherever possible.
Focus on results, not hours or days: Realising your aspirations requires hard-work and dedication. I
mentioned mentors and putting in the extra hours wherever you can above but, perhaps the best advice I can offer is to ignore the time element and focus on results. Use innovative and intensive ways to further your career and feel safe in the knowledge that you will become the high achieving woman you know you can be at the end of it all.
Behind the scenes: Laurika is the Product & Systems Manager at 21st Century (Pty) Ltd, one of the largest and most respected remuneration and reward consultancies in Africa with national and international capabilities. Her main function is managing the product division with involvement extending to client consultations and sales presentations. As the thought leader for job evaluation and job profiling solutions, Laurika is responsible for driving strategies for these functions within the company to ensure they are positioned to support the overall 21st Century strategy.
- The Saturday Night Show – Tales from my stethoscope | Bruna Dessena |#AdvancedLifeSupportParamedic |#Podcst |#PayItForward - January 21, 2021
- Oops….you exposed yourself! What’s up with What’s App? |#LTM | Craig Page-Lee |#Marketing | Podcast |#ebizradio - January 21, 2021
- Why you need to be agile in 2021 |#LTC |#Coaching |Meenakshi Iyer | Northstar at Work |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- The art of virtual B2B selling in 2021 | #TalkDigitalZA |#AudreyNaidoo |#ShelleyWalters | The Sales Counsel |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021
- Love your problems |#LTL |#Leadership | Dawn Rowlands |#Dentsu |#KevinBritz |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 18, 2021
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021