What a pleasure to have live theatre back, our stages are once again alive with laughter, drama and portrayals of humanity. If you are looking for a wonderful theatre experience then you should book now for The Beauty Queen of Leenane, opening at Theatre on the Square on 4 October and running until the 29th October 2022.
Björn Salsone, host of the Business Brunch show, every Tuesday at 11 on ebizradio.com, chats to Charmaine Weir-Smith, Director of the show The Beauty Queen of Leenane.We find out more about the production, the post pandemic opening up of theaters and everything in-between that gives us insight into the world of theatre.
The Beauty Queen of Leenane, a theatrical masterpiece by acclaimed Irish playwright Martin McDonagh (In Bruge, Hangmen) and winner of four Tony Awards, is a darkly comic tale about the turbulent, dysfunctional, and often savage relationship between mother and daughter, Mag and Maureen Folan. The play centres around the life of Maureen, an unmarried middle-aged woman, as she cares for her ailing mother Mag, and tries to find love. When the two brothers enter, we are set on a path to the play’s thrilling conclusion. Interspersed with romance and humour, this psychological thriller will have audiences on the edge of their seats.
Charmaine Weir-Smith (The Train Driver) directs a stellar cast starring Jennifer Steyn (The Inconvenience Of Wings) as Mag, Julie-Anne McDowell (The Revlon Girl) as Maureen, Bryan Hiles (Sweeney Todd) as Pato and Sven Ruygrok (Spud) as Ray. The production is designed by multiple award-winning designers Greg King (set) and Denis Hutchinson (lighting).
Produced by How Now Brown Cow Productions the debut Johannesburg season will run at Theatre on the Square from 4 -29 October 2022, Tuesday to Saturday, and tickets are now available via the theatre’s website www.theatreonthesquare.co.za/ or by calling 011 883 8606.
Performances will run at 8pm Tuesday to Saturday with a 3pm matinee on each Saturday of the season.
- Opening a business in South Africa? | #Insight | Business Brunch | Bjorn Salsone | Ankita Vyas Bohra | Indiana House - August 18, 2022
- Why is EQ so important? | #Insight | #Coaching | #Business | #Leadership | Kevin Britz | Anja van Beek | #Podcast - August 17, 2022
- When can South African stop eating meat? | #Insight | Big Fish Stories | Eitan Stern | Brett Thompson | Mzansi Meat Co | #Podcast - August 17, 2022
- Why getting LinkedIn right is vital for your career | #Insights | Change Conversations | Mpume Ncube-Daka | Nompumelelo Mshengu | #Podcast - August 17, 2022
- The strain of holding the sword by the blade: The health and well-being of women in our poorest communities | #Insights | Charmaine Gola | The Love Trust - August 16, 2022
- What do architects actually do? | #BusinesBrunch | #Business | #Entrepreneur | Bjorn Salsone | Michelle Maltz Shevelew | M2S Architects | #Podcast - August 16, 2022
- Women are winning in the Wine World | #Entrepreneur | #Wines | #Winery | Lindi Tshabangu | Silindile Zuma | Nanola Wines | #Podcast - August 15, 2022
- How do we support those businesses with a turnover over R10 million? | #Insight | #Growth | #Business | Ingrid von Stein | Diane Boorman - August 15, 2022
- Are you ready for the drone economy? | #Technology | #Economy | #Insight | Dean Conde | iOCO Digital - August 12, 2022
- Same Old Story | #Music | Business Brunch | #Artist | Björn Salsone | Lia Elise | #Podcast - August 11, 2022