Having being in the marketing and communications field for a decade or two, I have seen many changes and the advent of digital and social media has certainly influenced this industry, but, there are still some key basics issues that get blurred. Perhaps it’s a lack of industry understanding as we now live in a world that is instantly connected and we all want instant results.
It’s rather simple! You can’t build a house unless you have a solid foundation and a plan and all elements of a business will be part of this plan;
Finance / People / Products or Services / Marketing / Sales / PR
Below is a simple overview of the differences between Marketing, PR and Sales:
Marketing is identifying what problems you solve, how you solve them, and getting that information in front of the people who care. This covers everything from strategic marketing, where you are thinking about your audience, what problems they face, and how you can solve them, to lead-generation marketing, where you identify people who care and pass them to a sales team.
PR (Public Relations) is defining information to help third parties (often the media & industry connectors) understan what you do and who cares about it. This is very important because it provides your potential customers with a third-party, relatively independent, perspective into what you have to offer. It’s dependent on marketing, but entirely different. It supports sales, but is different. This is identifying industry experts who have credibility and giving them what they need to make an impartial evaluation of your services and offerings, so that the folks who listen to them get to know about you and what you can offer.
Sales is the process of overcoming natural objections to purchasing your services or products. Isn’t that a nice description? When you have something to offer, those interested will have natural questions and objections. Why would this help me? Do I need it? What is included? How much is it? Why is that a fair price? Sales is the process of helping a potential customer answer those questions.
- Assets and Wealth; Understanding the difference | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - January 23, 2020
- How South Africa’s People and Business are adapting (or not adapting) to the evolving GIG economy | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - January 22, 2020
- Social Media Trends for 2020 |#eBizWires | - January 22, 2020
- Africa is championing the flexible workspace revolution | #eBizInsights - January 21, 2020
- SAB READIES TO WIND UP R14-BILLION B-BBEE SCHEME IN VALUE AT MATURITY - January 17, 2020
- The intelligent utility of the future | #eBizInsights | Dr. Cathy Pickering - January 14, 2020
- Employee Wellbeing going into the new decade | #eBizInsights - January 14, 2020
- From street corner to corner office|#eBizWires | Fredrick Ochieng - January 14, 2020
- Post-Matric Packing List for Life | #eBizInsights | Howard Feldman - January 14, 2020
- Welcome to the era of containers | #eBizWires? Muggie van Stadden - January 14, 2020