A new family of ransomware called WannaCry has infected over 140 000 computers worldwide. This piece of ransomware is based on a zero-day exploit that helps it jump from one infected computer to another and encrypt all the information stored on it.
Bitdefender’s advanced detection capabilities, based on next-generation technologies, were able to intercept this threat since its emergence. For Bitdefender customers, their information has been safe all the time.
Unlike other ransomware families, the WannaCry strain does not spread via infected e-mails or infected links. Instead, it takes advantage of a security hole in most Windows versions to automatically execute itself on the victim’s PC. According to various reports, this attack avenue has been developed by the National Security Agency (NSA) in the US as a cyber-weapon and it was leaked to the public earlier in April along with other classified data allegedly stolen from the agency.
Until now, a number of hospitals, telecom companies or gas and utilities plants have suffered massive disruptions caused by data being held at ransom.
As this ongoing outbreak is affecting countless computer users around the world, Bitdefender is actively working on a free decryption tool to help victims recover their information without paying the ransom. The company will notify users via Twitter and Facebook when it becomes available.
“While South Africa was not part of the initial WannaCry attack, it is only a matter of time before these criminals target local businesses. WannaCry is far and away the most severe malware attack so far in 2017, and the spread of this troubling ransomware is far from over. If you are not using a security solution we strongly recommend you install protection,” says Simon Campbell-Young, CEO of Intact Software Distribution, a local distributor of Bitdefender.
About Intact Software Distribution
Intact Software Distribution is a dedicated software distributor focusing on providing a full range of security software solutions, coupled with the service performance and know-how of an experienced and specialised solution provider.
Intact Security provides a focused approach to support and technical knowledge transfer in association with the channel. Where required, the company assists with implementation of the products. Intact Security is specifically focused on customer satisfaction, providing an all-round peace of mind scenario which results in collaborative engagements facilitating clients’ needs and requirements.
Intact Software Distribution’s offering consists of the full Avira, G Data and StorageCraft ranges, as well as the Bitdefender and Kaspersky corporate products.
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021
- Love your problems |#LTL |#Leadership | Dawn Rowlands |#Dentsu |#KevinBritz |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 18, 2021
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021
- Behavior is Truth |#LTL |#Leadership |Mike Abel |#Kevinbritz | Naomi Basson |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 11, 2021
- Looking forward to 2021 | #eBizTrends| Dion Chang| Podcast - January 4, 2021
- Driving demand for local businesses this festive season| #eBizWires | Daryn van Arkel |Podcast - December 18, 2020
- Why podcasting is an effective marketing tool |#Marketing | Paulo Dias |Ultimate Media | #ebizradio - December 17, 2020