As part of our PAY IT FORWARD segment here on www.ebizradio.com we chat to Kerri Delport – Director of Autism Western Cape. This series of conversations are part of the awareness campaign by Orion Organisation NPC – based in Atlantis in the Western Cape .
What is Autism?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Autism is a broad word used to describe a group of disorders of brain development. It affects the way people see the world and respond to things like sound, light, touch, space, smell and taste. Autism is also known as a communication disorder and affects four major areas of development. These include:
- Language and communication
- Social interaction
- Thinking and behavior
- Sensory processing
The symptoms of autism are usually evident before the age of three. The severity of the diagnosis or the level of support needed varies from person to person, and no two people with autism are alike. While autism is a life-long condition (there is no cure), early intervention can play a huge role in the prognosis, i.e. the management of symptoms and coping skills that can be taught. Once an individual is able to manage their anxiety (which is very common in people affected by ASD), they are able to learn other skills important for their development.
ASD affects 1 in 68 people globally. It affects 1 in 42 boys, and 1 in 189 girls. So boys are 4-5 times more likely to have autism than girls. Statistics have revealed a 10-17% annual growth rate in recent years.
If you are concerned that your child might be on the Autism Spectrum, ask your GP to carry out a screening assessment and if he/she is concerned, to write a referral letter.
In some cases, a referral letter can also be written by one of the following:
- Occupational therapist
- Speech and language therapist
Once you have a referral letter, make an appointment with one of the following professionals:
- Developmental paediatritican (government or private)
- Clinical Psychologist
- Educational Psychologist
Call Orion on (021) 572 8490 for assistance and guidance / [email protected]
- Covid-19 lockdown spurs massive spike in new business account registrations online | #eBizInisghts| Jonathon Smit of Payfast |Podcast - May 29, 2020
- Insights on Data: Podcast 4 Data Literacy and Skills | #eBizInsights| Jayson O’Reilly|Podcast - May 27, 2020
- We’re facing a new way of connecting with consumers| #eBizInsights | Victor Koaho - May 27, 2020
- Types of Covid-19 tests explained| #eBizInsights | Gerald Naidoo - May 27, 2020
- The Marketing Research Foundation updates the industry| #eBizWires - May 27, 2020
- How do we get through this trauma? |#Lifestyle |#Monique Strydom| Podcast - May 22, 2020
- How to handle the unexpected news of retrenchment |#Insight |#Devan Moonsammy - May 19, 2020
- THERE IS NO RISK IN BEING DIFFERENT WHEN NOTHING IS THE SAME| #eBizInsights | Ursula McDonald & Pippa Capstick | Podcast - May 18, 2020
- Insights on Data Podcast 3: Data Analysis | #eBizInsights |Quinton Senekal - May 18, 2020
- Remote working during Lockdown | #eBizTechnology | Arthur Goldstuck | Podcast - May 11, 2020