Andre Botha from Treasury1 joins us for our weekly market report, with local economic data as well as international data from the US, EU and Asia.
The Rand has improved to around the early R14’s to the dollar on the back of an above expected GDP growth rate of 3.3% (quarter or quarter), this comes after a decline of 1.2% in the first three months of the year. Year on year growth however was anemic at best coming in at 0.8%. Thankfully South Africa avoided a technical recession (2 quarters of negative growth), however people and business’s continue to struggle and political uncertainty/interference in the economy continues to act as a drag on a local recovery.
Internationally, the dollar has weakened as lack luster economic growth points toward a lessening of a US interest hike soon (though still expected before years end), this has led to investors to explore emerging markets for higher yields also helping to strengthen the Rand.
Economic news out of Europe is steadily improving but there are no fireworks to report, much of the market is waiting to hear from the ECB (European Central Bank) for direction.
We unpack even more in the podcast, listen below.
- Are you ready for the drone economy? | #Technology | #Economy | #Insight | Dean Conde | iOCO Digital - August 12, 2022
- Same Old Story | #Music | Business Brunch | #Artist | Björn Salsone | Lia Elise | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- Understanding your customer segmentation | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- How to stay CONNECTED whilst traveling | #Technology | Ingrid von Stein | Arthur Goldstuck | Gadget.co.za | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- Weekly Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | #Motoring | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- The future of SA Live Music? |#BigFishStories | Eitan Stern | Simon Attwell | Legalese |#Podcast - August 10, 2022
- Can you actually measure CULTURE? | #Business | #Coaching | #HR | Kevin Britz | Jerome Parisse-Brassens | Walking the Talk | #Podcast - August 10, 2022
- Weekly Motoring News | #Motoring | Tumelo Maketekete | Diesel and Dust | #Podcast - August 10, 2022
- Mothers do know best | #Entrepreneur | #Women | #Hairstyling | Bjorn Salsone | Chaz Kruger | Business Brunch | #Podcast - August 9, 2022
- Why after 250 years are we still struggling for inclusion? | #Business | #Women | Lindi Tshabangu | Kalnisha Singh | Word of Mouth | KD Strategies - August 8, 2022