Andre Botha from TreasuryOne joins us for the Market Update, our Weekly podcast for # eBizMoney
The Rand caught many off-guard yesterday, including myself, as it rapidly retreated all the way up to 13.70 even though the ABInBev/SABMiller deal was approved. The move looks to be a result of position squaring and profit-taking on the back of the approval and building up to the agreement the market must have been long Rand. That being said the bias and momentum could still favour the lower side as Asian risk assets gained this morning after a positive lead from Wall Street.
The informal meeting between OPEC and other major oil producers has surprisingly produced an agreement to cut production output to between 32.5m and 33m barrels a day. The market wasn’t expecting an agreement given the false hope provided by previous meetings. The output cap is slightly Rand negative, but the effect on the Trade Balance will only be felt further down the line.
On a negative note, there’s talk of South African Bond’s having their weighting decreased in the JP Morgan GBI-EM index which could translate into Rand outflows. Just the rumour is enough to dent our momentum to the lower side, but we’ll have to wait and see if the market takes much note.
For now, we look dazed after yesterday’s surprise rally, if the Rand can pull it together, we could move back into the lower 13.50’s. Otherwise, we’ll be range bound between 13.58 and 13.75.
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Since SA has have moved to level 1 lock-down, what effect is this having on the markets? | #Insights | #Trading | Zihad Israel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Behind the scenes with a Theater Producer | #BusinessBrunch | #Insight | Björn Salsone | Bernard Jay | #Pantomime | #Podcast #ebizradio - October 12, 2021
- Now is the time to make money in this market | #Insight | #Money | Daniel Kibel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 11, 2021
- How Trade Specialisation might make you a rich Forex trader | #Insights | Finance | Tope Ijibadejo | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 8, 2021
- Who are and why are these South Africa’s brands ranked the most valuable? | #Marketing | #Insight | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee - October 7, 2021
- Ubuntu is the spirit of wealth | Investing in YOUR people | #Insight | Nelisiwe Massabgo | #ebizradio - October 7, 2021
- THE NEW REASON TO GET UP FOR WORK IN THE MORNING – Becoming a future-fit employer in a Pandemic | #Business | #Insight | Sibongile Bobo Mngxali | Roche Diagnostics | #ebizradio - October 6, 2021