One of the consequences of a faltering economy is that due inflation the ability of the ”average” man to buy products/services decreases as these cost more money, when one factors in that often salaries/wages increases are less than the inflation rate: in essence one is getting poorer.
Despite the world as a whole getting richer, the gap between the wealthy and the middle/lower classes is increasing, even more so during economic difficulties…Yet despite this, life goes on and people adapt.
This adaptation has led to a new term being coined, that of the GIG economy.
So what is the GIG economy you ask?
The term comes from the sharing economy, whereby people collectively share a service or product in a community, whether it be a drill, a television (or anything else). Another example could be car-pooling or wi-fi sharing.
GIG itself is a subset of the shared economy; The GIG economy refers to the outsourcing and hiring someone’s services on a temporary or freelance basis, hence the word “gig”. The Economist has estimated that by 2025 as much as 70% of the world’s workforce might be “on demand” as computer automation takes over many full-time jobs, forcing workers to become independent contractors or to simply “fill in the gaps” that computers can’t.
We discuss the Sharing/GIG economy on this edition of eBizTrends, take a listen!
Dion Chang is the founder of Flux Trends. For more trends visit:
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021