One of the consequences of a faltering economy is that due inflation the ability of the ”average” man to buy products/services decreases as these cost more money, when one factors in that often salaries/wages increases are less than the inflation rate: in essence one is getting poorer.
Despite the world as a whole getting richer, the gap between the wealthy and the middle/lower classes is increasing, even more so during economic difficulties…Yet despite this, life goes on and people adapt.
This adaptation has led to a new term being coined, that of the GIG economy.
So what is the GIG economy you ask?
The term comes from the sharing economy, whereby people collectively share a service or product in a community, whether it be a drill, a television (or anything else). Another example could be car-pooling or wi-fi sharing.
GIG itself is a subset of the shared economy; The GIG economy refers to the outsourcing and hiring someone’s services on a temporary or freelance basis, hence the word “gig”. The Economist has estimated that by 2025 as much as 70% of the world’s workforce might be “on demand” as computer automation takes over many full-time jobs, forcing workers to become independent contractors or to simply “fill in the gaps” that computers can’t.
We discuss the Sharing/GIG economy on this edition of eBizTrends, take a listen!
Dion Chang is the founder of Flux Trends. For more trends visit:
- How injustice works! |#Opinion |#Vusi Thembekwayo |#Podcast - June 4, 2020
- Customizing Software for the Retail Industry more relevant than ever | #eBizInsights | Gareth Hawkey of redPanda | Podcast - June 3, 2020
- Bringing 4IR to South Africa: Telviva, an Introduction | #eBizTechnology |David Meintjes | Podcast - June 1, 2020
- Covid-19 lockdown spurs massive spike in new business account registrations online | #eBizInisghts| Jonathan Smit of Payfast |Podcast - May 29, 2020
- Insights on Data: Podcast 4 Data Literacy and Skills | #eBizInsights| Jayson O’Reilly|Podcast - May 27, 2020
- We’re facing a new way of connecting with consumers| #eBizInsights | Victor Koaho - May 27, 2020
- Types of Covid-19 tests explained| #eBizInsights | Gerald Naidoo - May 27, 2020
- The Marketing Research Foundation updates the industry| #eBizWires - May 27, 2020
- How do we get through this trauma? |#Lifestyle |#Monique Strydom| Podcast - May 22, 2020
- How to handle the unexpected news of retrenchment |#Insight |#Devan Moonsammy - May 19, 2020