The Important Role Reliable Connectivity Plays in the Profits of the Fast Food Industry | #eBizInsights
Kentucky Fried Chicken was founded by Harland Sanders (known as Colonel Sanders), who opened his first restaurant in 1952. Kentucky Fried Chicken was later changed to KFC to create a healthier image to consumers, but irrespective of their efforts to develop a health-conscious brand, the most popular dish today still remains their famous original recipe fried chicken.
To put their success in perspective: In 2017, KFC held 21 487 restaurants worldwide. In South Africa alone, KFC still ranks 1st on the fast food industry list, with 840 stores nationwide. Despite the tough economic environment over the past year, KFC still continued to open more stores to supply the demand of South Africa’s favourite meal.
Part of KFC’s continued growth drive is to implement effective business processes which also serve its customers as best as possible. A key element of this is to ensure fast and trusted check-out transactions, and to do this they need to ensure trusted communication for the point-of-sale infrastructure.
Using the normal mobile networks with 3G data connectivity could simply not provide KFC with reliable communication for the point-of-sale services. The poor 3G communication was leading to revenue loss and customer frustrations, which simply could not be afforded anymore.
FNB recently partnered with Q-KON to develop a very reliable satellite communication network that provided trusted communication for business point-of-sale solutions. This satellite network provides a network reliability of 99,95% uptime, with data transaction costs lower than 3G bundles and equipment pricing included in the FNB financial services package.
The solution is implemented by installing a two-way data satellite terminal at the customer’s premises. This integrates with the business point-of-sale devices either with cable or over a secure wireless network. This solution can thus also be used for communication at larger business premises, which could include restaurant areas, or bar facilities and even outside pool areas.
As an FNB certified solution, the end-to-end satellite and wireless network is fully compliant with all current financial security requirements. In addition, Q-KON provides FNB with on-site and remote support to ensure continued business operation anywhere in South Africa.
Q-KON has so far successfully completed 16 KFC VSAT projects, consisting of eight Stimulus sites, two Gunret Food sites and 6 KFC Chargo sites.
These sites, famous for their “off-grid” nature, can now benefit from the satellite PoS solution. “We really can’t complain, as we have seen a tremendous improvement in the uptime at these stores, in comparison of how it was. The support from the Q-KON team is excellent!” says Michael Davel of Gunret Foods.
- A chef wears many hats | #eBizInsights | Duncan Wales - October 19, 2018
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 9 | Profecia IT | Ebenezer Smith | #eBizEntrepreneur - October 19, 2018
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 8 | Mementoes Trading | Zodwa Mlangeni | #eBizEntrepreneur - October 19, 2018
- INTRODUCING NORICK INTERIORS | #eBizWires - October 19, 2018
- Giving your children the very best chance at building successful lives | #eBizInsight| Allon Raiz - October 19, 2018
- Off the grid | #eBizWires - October 18, 2018
- BPM is dead. Long live BPS | #eBizWires - October 18, 2018
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 7 | Isibusiso Holdings| Immaculate Thabisile Hlongwane | #eBizEntrepreneur - October 15, 2018
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 6 | AW Engineering | Andre Williams | eBizEntrepreneur - October 15, 2018
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 5 | Ohambo Oluhle Transport & Projects | Mandla Mlandeni | #eBizEntrepreneur - October 13, 2018
- A chef wears many hats | #eBizInsights | Duncan Wales
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 9 | Profecia IT | Ebenezer Smith | #eBizEntrepreneur
- SAB Boosts Youth Entrepreneurs Finalist 8 | Mementoes Trading | Zodwa Mlangeni | #eBizEntrepreneur
- INTRODUCING NORICK INTERIORS | #eBizWires
- Giving your children the very best chance at building successful lives | #eBizInsight| Allon Raiz
- Off the grid | #eBizWires