MANY safari aficionados have claimed they do not visit game lodges to be pampered as game drives, bush walks and the general tranquillity of the bush tick all the boxes in soothing the most stressed body and soul.
However, when added decadence is on offer, such as a steam room session, a deep tissue massage, or an aroma therapy full body massage.
The Tau Spa Oasis at Tau Game Lodge in the Madikwe Reserve is a hidden treasure as it is, like the Tau brand, never in your face, never claiming to be opulent or glitzy. Unpretentious, yet delivering the ideal relaxation to complement all this welcoming 5-star safari lodge has on offer.
Suffice to say, after an Intonga Massage, an African stick massage, skillfully performed with the hands, utilizing different sized sticks to stretch tight muscles and ease toxins caused by stress, a leisurely soak in the generously proportioned Hydro Spa Bath overlooking the verdant bush, complete with a glass of one’s preferred elixir, delicious bubbly in my modest case, is the cherry on this safari lodge.
You may prefer the Hot Stone Massage, or a pampering Deep Relaxing Foot Massage. Whichever treatments you prefer, the marula oil, blended with neroli to soften signs of ageing, and the natural anti-inflammatory effect of benzoin will relieve aching muscles.
The healingly aromatic Africology products can be purchased from the spa to extend the hedonism back home.
Tau Spa Oasis treatments range from:
- hair removal to eyebrow tinting;
- the Tau Spa Oasis Journey, comprising several luxurious full body treatments, such as relaxing in the Steam Room, infused with fresh herbs and ice-cold cucumber slices on your eyes, to a
- full body exfoliating scrub and a full body aroma oils massage for a heavenly 120 minutes for two;
- the 3-Hour Bliss treatment includes steam, full body exfoliation, revitalizing shower, Repair Facial, Full Body Massage and the signature African Foot Ritual. Life does not get better.
Designed for comfort, Tau Game Lodge offers a cool respite in the warmer months, while the fire-places make for sumptuous relaxation in winter. A destination for all seasons.
Popular room features range from large en suite tubs and showers (in the Family Suite), to the outdoor showers (in the Standard and Deluxe Suites). To put you in closer touch with nature, the beds face the room decks, which overlook a natural waterhole within a pebble’s flick (a stone’s throw just seems further). No sooner are you refreshed and unpacked, Instagramming your friends with this glorious view, when you are preparing for your first game drive with a ranger that will astound you with their knowledge of not only the animals of this Place of the Lion (Tau), but the medicinal benefits of the flora.
That same ranger will also be your host at dinner, be it in the lodge restaurant, Lapa, or in a boma.
The game and bird-life are prolific in this magical reserve, with most of the Big Five being spotted within your first safari drive. If cowboy rangers speeding across the bush to impress you with their ability to fast-forward your requested animal sightings, and safari vehicles ten-deep to harass a leopard with her young, this is not the game reserve for you. However, if you respect nature and want to preserve the bush and its inhabitants for the future, including those small, slower animals that cannot escape racing jeep tracks, then you’ve discovered the mother-load of safari heaven.
Twenty-two years ago, in 1995, Tau Game Lodge opened its 5-star safari doors in the Madikwe Game Reserve, the fourth largest game reserve in southern Africa, cozily tucked into the North-Western corner bordering Botswana.
Since then, Tau has been recognized by South African and international tourism decision makers, including TripAdvisor, the Automobile Association and World Luxury Hotel Awards, for its authentic hospitality and an ability to constantly update and improve its service and eco-friendly facilities.
The lodge design takes game viewing up a further notch by making the most of the waterhole in full view of the hospitality as well as room decks. As a major attraction for the abundant birdlife and big as well as small game, the waterhole offers guests a sublime opportunity to observe the pecking order and a 24/7 game extravaganza. One might even spot a very large crocodile sunning itself on an island outside one’s room.
The family-friendly lodge offers parents some alone time whilst the kids are well looked after and educated about the bush and its inhabitants. Children aged three to five-years old automatically become members of the Tau Cubz Club, which includes a short children’s game drive after breakfast, after which they are entertained with bush related arts and crafts activities as well as their Tau gift packs.
The thirty luxury chalets each offer a private viewing deck, en suite bathroom and open-air shower, (indoor shower in the Family Suite). Accommodation for 60 guests includes 20 standard chalets, 6 deluxe chalets, a family unit and a family suite (both made up of two chalets joined by an inter-leading lounge).
Malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve boasts year-round game viewing and a bird population of over 250 different species. Madikwe is one of the few reserves where one can view a wide variety of fauna, from breeding herds of elephant to the endangered wild dog and cheetah, for an authentic Big Five safari.
The well-equipped Tau Game Lodge Convention Centre, which is situated a short walking distance from the lodge, seats up to 150 delegates and has hosted the likes of presidents and celebrities.
Team building activities, treasure hunts and bush dinners are some of the popular options on offer to create a memorable, fun conference.
Sit back, relax in armchair safari style to view a live webcam, accessible at http://www.taugamelodge.co.za/WebCams.asp – follow the easy steps to log onto the Wild Earth server – and make your reservation for an evocative, fabulous safari – please note the camera is down at present due to a fault caused by heavy rains during February 2017.
The current 3-night Romantic Autumn Package (valid 1 July – 31 August 2017) @R19,500.00 per couple sharing includes:
- 3 meals per day;
- 2 game drives per day;
- African Head Massage OR Deep Relaxing Foot Massage 1 per adult;
- All snacks and beverages on game drives.
- Private equity fund takes the lead at transformative 4IR start-ups | #eBizEntrepreneur | Brett Dawson | Podcast - February 18, 2020
- Streaming content in 2020; the RSA context | #eBizInsights | Richard Lord | Podcast - February 14, 2020
- Search Engines prioritise user experiences in 2020 | #eBizInsights | Marcus Matsi - February 13, 2020
- Hive Digital Media’s Spectrum Roadshow| #eBizWires - February 13, 2020
- 2020 : The most important SONA since 1994 | #ebizradio #Opinion | Mike Abel - February 13, 2020
- Smoking in the Workplace: 21st Century edition | #eBizInisghts | Nicol Myburgh | Podcast - February 12, 2020
- iOCO achieves AWS End User Computing Competency status | #eBizInsights | Podcast | Richard Vester - February 6, 2020
- New examples of Customer-experience innovation with Dentsu Aegis| #eBizWires - February 6, 2020
- How Blockchain Technology Can Change Financial Management In Africa | #eBizInsights - February 6, 2020
- Spectrum: South Africa’s own innovative local video streaming platform | #eBizWires - February 5, 2020