Biz Radio chats to Dawn Rowlands, CEO Aegis Media Sub-Saharan Africa about her experience as a judge at the Cannes Lions 2013 and the key insights she gained and says must be shared with the industry in Africa.
Dawn Rowlands in conversation with BizRadio’s Grant Jansen
Podcast | Click HERE to listen
She talks us through the judging process – there are literally thousands of entries into each award category and entry is by no means a cheap affair, so best you make sure that what you are entering actually meets the criteria; you have 3 minutes to present your work visually (a video clip) so be very clear what your strategy is; what’s the idea; what is the concept; how it executed and most importantly what were the results. Submitting an entry that has no results will get your entry thrown out immediately. Before you do your entry go onto the Cannes Lions website and take a look at previous entries – this will give you a very clear idea of how to present your entry.
She goes on to share her disappointment in seeing very little work from Africa being submitted and even less from South Africa. When you look globally, other emerging markets were highly represented with incredible creative work – Brazil and India to name two. Despite her disappointment she strongly encourages African agencies to submit their work. The reason for these types of awards are twofold – firstly your work competes on a global scale, but more importantly it’s vital that “clients” get to see what good work really looks like. Ultimately they are the reason why we are in business and we need them to give us their business, what better way to keep the industry and its innovators top of mind than been showcased at global awards like Cannes. This way client’s can push agencies and vice versa in terms of creating work that works for the brand as opposed to just creating work that looks good but does not meet the business objectives of the client.
Despite the lack of entries from the African continent, Dawn is incredibly optimistic about the future of creative work from this region.
- Private equity fund takes the lead at transformative 4IR start-ups | #eBizEntrepreneur | Brett Dawson | Podcast - February 18, 2020
- Streaming content in 2020; the RSA context | #eBizInsights | Richard Lord | Podcast - February 14, 2020
- Search Engines prioritise user experiences in 2020 | #eBizInsights | Marcus Matsi - February 13, 2020
- Hive Digital Media’s Spectrum Roadshow| #eBizWires - February 13, 2020
- 2020 : The most important SONA since 1994 | #ebizradio #Opinion | Mike Abel - February 13, 2020
- Smoking in the Workplace: 21st Century edition | #eBizInisghts | Nicol Myburgh | Podcast - February 12, 2020
- iOCO achieves AWS End User Computing Competency status | #eBizInsights | Podcast | Richard Vester - February 6, 2020
- New examples of Customer-experience innovation with Dentsu Aegis| #eBizWires - February 6, 2020
- How Blockchain Technology Can Change Financial Management In Africa | #eBizInsights - February 6, 2020
- Spectrum: South Africa’s own innovative local video streaming platform | #eBizWires - February 5, 2020