New business owners often aggressively pursue market share and profits at all costs, without having a proper business strategy in place to sustain growth.
Commenting on a recent episode of the ‘Think Big – Building Business Champions’ series, Ravi Govender, Head of Small Enterprises at Standard Bank, advises on the steps to be followed when considering to grow an existing business into a franchise. The business evaluated on the programme was Vuyo’s, which operates in the fast food industry – http://www.vuyos.co.za/
“Taking a business to the next level and going national through self-funding or by taking a step into franchising requires substantial planning and guidance. Failing to plan properly at this stage could lead to long-term disadvantages, pushing up operating costs, diluting market share and even preventing the business from taking advantage of real growth opportunities,” says Mr Govender.
He advises aspiring entrepreneurs to take these factors into consideration when planning to take the next step and turning a business into a franchise:
- Assessing the business, the niche it operates in and whether there is widespread demand for the product or service being offered.
- Having a head office and the specialist staff needed to run a multi-faceted geographically spread out operation.
- Getting funding from family and friends or other investors to buy into your dream in return for a stake in the business.
- Approaching a bank is also an option. However, before taking this step a comprehensive business plan should be developed. A franchise specialist at the bank could also be approached for advice.
“If the thought of becoming a DIY franchisor is too daunting, consulting franchise brokers who are well versed in the requirements and dynamics of the franchise business is an option,” says Mr Govender, adding that some of the challenges to be expected include:
- Deciding on the systems required for the business.
- Getting legal advice and assistance with contracts through an experienced franchise lawyer.
- Ensuring that cash flow remains positive during the start-up process.
- Developing a proper growth strategy.
- Understanding that your franchisees may have little or no experience in a franchised business. Providing the necessary training and marketing support will be vital to success.
- Determining capital investment and franchisee fees.
Mr Govender says that launching a new brand, particularly a food brand, in a competitive market will require selecting franchisees who share your passion and dedication. However, if done correctly, growing from SME to franchisor can be the most rewarding step that any entrepreneur can take.
‘Think Big’ episodes can be viewed on SABC 3 at 9:30pm every Thursday, with a repeat every Sunday at 4:30pm. You can also visit www.standardbank.co.za/thinkbig to view the show. For an array of additional tips and tools on how to start, manage or grow a business, visit bizconnect.standardbank.co.za.
- Perhaps its time to join the Circus | #Business | #Entrepreneur | Bjorn Salsone | ZipZap Circus | #Podcast - October 4, 2022
- The power of that SUBSCRIBE button | #Business | #Marketing | #e-commerce | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | Lunchtime Marketing | #Podcast - September 29, 2022
- Porn, parents, children and social workers burning out | #Insights | #Society | Ingrid von Stein | Edith Kriel | Jelly Beanz | #Podcast - September 28, 2022
- Desperation and hopelessness is surrounding us in business | #Insights | #Business | #LunchtimeCoaching | Kevin Britz | Leoni Coetzee | #Podcast - September 28, 2022
- Why paying your tax as a small business owner is so important | #Insights | #Tax | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Tusani Mnyandu | Mazars - September 26, 2022
- Retailers are looking at smart solutions to South Africa’s power crisis with electricity costs likely to double over five years | #Insight | Steven Heilbron | Capital Connect - September 26, 2022
- News of the Week | #News | #News Updates | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast - September 23, 2022
- HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF YOURSELF, IT’S THINKING OF YOURSELF LESS! | #Business | #Leadership | Kevin Britz | Meenakshhi Iyer | NorthStar Solutions - September 23, 2022
- Lana Marais appointed as Regional Director for emerging markets, dentsu Africa | #Wires | #Media | #Marketing | #Branding - September 21, 2022
- Self Promotion in leadership | #BusinessCoaching | #Business | Kevin Britz | Meenakshhi Ayer | Northstar Solutions | #Podcast - September 21, 2022