Obsidian Systems, an established South African supplier of Open Source software solutions, in association with several industry partners, recently hosted a one-day open collaborative session: Software Freedom Day Pretoria 2014 on 20 September in support of the global Software Freedom Day (SFD) initiative.
The full day event was held at The Station Lounge (50 meters from the Pretoria Gautrain Platform), there was no entrance free, but space was limited and the venue filled quickly. The Programme featured a number of speakers, interactive discussion, breakaways in hack rooms and networking opportunities.
“Our aim for SFD 2014 is to engage with and encourage computer users, local businesses, startups and other groups to use free software and promote the philosophy. We provide a friendly and accessible community to learn about and discuss free software,” explains Karl Fischer, Technical Consultant at Obsidian Systems.
Coverage of the event was also available via social networks Facebook and Google.
A number of speakers lined up to delve into an array of topics:
From Open Hybrid Cloud, the Internet of Things and Graphics in the open source world to insight into open source technology offerings including ELK – Log Analysis, OpenSUSE Build Service, ownCloud – Your ownCloud 9, and Docker, amongst others.
We chat to Karl Fischer from Obsidian about this event:
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Its a bad day, not a bad life – Building your brand |#LTM |#BjornSalsone |# Sunil Osman |#Marketing |#Podcast - October 15, 2020
- Lockdown points to a new way to grow local economies | #eBizInsights - October 14, 2020
- The Outdoor Measurement Council (OMC) releases latest ROAD data | #eBizWires - October 14, 2020
- Getting ready for REMOTE SELLING | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#B2B| #Podcast - October 14, 2020