Safely getting around online
The World Wide Web is a great resource, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to take precautions, writes Sarel Lamprecht, MD of Phishield, the world’s first cyber insurance company.
Although the World Wide Web is 27 years old, newspaper reports abound of people being taken for a ride. There are, however, several ways to keep yourself safe online.
Never, ever post personal information, such as a cell phone number, home number, home address, or location on any social networking site or through mobile apps like Snapchat or Instagram. Post your holiday pictures after the event, not when your house is empty. It doesn’t take much work to find out where people live – even with a common surname, an IP address and online White Pages, you’re an easy hit.
Delete unwanted messages and use your e-mail spam filter. If you receive an automated e-mail that youdid not subscribe to, do not respond or unsubscribe. This only signals to a spammer that you receivedand opened that email, which could make you an easy target in the future.
Be careful when opening attachments sent via e-mail. It can be risky to open e-mails that contain externalor unknown files as these documents or photos could mask malicious actions. To avoid these, run ascan on any questionable e-mail received.
Don’t share your password, ever, and make it more complicated than Password1. That’s one of the easiest passwords to hack. Use different passwords for different accounts. The more passwords you have, the less chance a hacker or thief can access your various accounts.
To make it easier for you to return, many websites offer the option to remember your login information on the current computer you are using. Don’t allow this option if you are not using your own personal and secure device.
Make full use of privacy settings to limit information available to the public, and don’t accept any arbitrary friend requests. At the same time, make sure you have adequate virus protection installed, make sure it is on the right settings and is up to date.
Don’t ever download software without first double checking the source, and making sure it’s trusted and the certificate is up to date – Google Chrome or your antivirus software can help with this.
Sometimes, scammers will try and rip you off with a pop up on your screen that will say your PC is infected, and scam you into buying software you don’t need, and that will do nothing. Worse, the scammers will then have your credit card details, so you’ll have to cancel the card.
Don’t download anything that is compressed unless you trust the file, as these often come with viruses or other malware.
Phishield is the world’s first cyber and phishing insurance. Phishield provides cover against fraudulent online purchases, card fraud, phishing scams, as well as fraudulent EFT funds transfers and in-app purchases.
Phishield was established by a group of entrepreneurs from various backgrounds, industries and disciplines, forming global partnerships with security and insurance companies to provide consumers with an affordable cover against loss of funds suffered through cyber and transactional theft.
- Consider cultural diversity when working remotely |#LTC |#Coaching |#KevinBritz | Viviana Premazzi | Global Mindset Development – GMD |#Podcast - January 26, 2021
- I’m struggling to get going in 2021! |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson |#Leadership #Podcast |#ebizradio - January 25, 2021
- The real price of free social networks |#OneEyedMan Podcast |#MikeStopforth | Nerushka Bowan - January 25, 2021
- The Saturday Night Show – Tales from my stethoscope | Bruna Dessena |#AdvancedLifeSupportParamedic |#Podcst |#PayItForward - January 21, 2021
- Oops….you exposed yourself! What’s up with What’s App? |#LTM | Craig Page-Lee |#Marketing | Podcast |#ebizradio - January 21, 2021
- Why you need to be agile in 2021 |#LTC |#Coaching |Meenakshi Iyer | Northstar at Work |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- The art of virtual B2B selling in 2021 | #TalkDigitalZA |#AudreyNaidoo |#ShelleyWalters | The Sales Counsel |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021
- Steve Harvey returns to South Africa to host Season 2 of Family Feud SA | #eBizWires - January 18, 2021
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021