Siyanda Luthuli established Spectra Flow in 2016, a business that specialises in pumps and general engineering.
The business supplies pumps within the production industry as well as offers installation, repairs to faulty pumps and services those due for maintenance. In addition, it offers laser-alignment services and computer-aided design (CAD) drawings for pump-set and other mechanical requirements.
Differentiating it from other businesses in the industry, Spectra Flow also does ‘health checks’ on equipment.
Spectra Flow has a Level 1 B-BBEE status. Siyanda currently employs three people and plans to employ up to 5 by 2019.
To help develop the business, Siyanda has set a series of goals which include:
Short term, he would like to increase clientele and by doing so, employ more people. In addition, have a fully equipped workshop and become an agent for leading pump manufacturers.
Long term, Siyanda would like to open another three branches – one in Richards Bay and another two in other provinces, Mpumalanga and Gauteng. In addition, he would like to add a machinery and fabrication division to the business that would house spares, pipes and baseplates as well as have a test bay to test the performance of pumps. He would also like to brand his own pump which would be available in retail.
As a SAB KickStart Boost finalist, Siyanda would like exposure and access to market as well as procurement opportunities that would enable his business to grow sustainably.
- Inspiration: I receive my inspiration from God – anything in life is possible if you believe.
- What drives you and motivates you as an entrepreneur? My drive comes from me wanting to improve the way of doing things in this industry. I am also motivated by being an entrepreneur, I am making a difference to the South African economy.
- Advice to fellow entrepreneurs: My best advice to a sprouting entrepreneur is to be passionate about what you do. You also need to be goal driven and you need to dream big to achieve big. Before you take the entrepreneurial step, you need to do a lot of research into your field as well as what it means to be an entrepreneur – so that you know if you have the drive, the character and the skills to cut it!
- Something from your entrepreneur journey: Being an entrepreneur is something I have always wanted to do. When I was employed, I would constantly ask myself how I could improve the services in this industry. As companies tend to keep to their traditional practices, I knew I had to branch out on my own to test my ideas and improve the business model.
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021