In a lightbulb moment, Lesley Waterkeyn – Founder and CEO of Colourworks – knew just how her company, along with partner Designers Ink, could contribute towards Entrepreneurial growth and sustained development in a creative and meaningful way. What if a team of designers could create the foundation for SMEs in this country to kick start their businesses into full gear with uniquely crafted logos and brand collateral at no cost to the fledgling companies?
Overnight 67 Logos was born! The concept involves 67 designers masterminding 67 logos – including mini visual identity (containing logo variants, fonts and colours), a business card and email signature – for 67 small South African businesses in dire need of the brand and marketing material required to get their companies off the ground in the most professional way possible.
Culminating on Mandela Day, 67 Logos will see over R2 million Rands worth of design work and brand collateral handed over to 67 high impact SMEs – who only need to go online to apply for the opportunity. After a briefing with the selected SMEs, the designers will conceptualise and create distinctive logos for each small business. This is big budget design development that is normally out of reach for SMEs!
“Many successful South African business started as entrepreneurial entities – my business included. The reality is that our youth unemployment rate is mind boggling and the only way out of this darkness is job creation by SMEs. However, these SMEs need support – both from government and the private sector. This project is our way of banding together successful small and medium businesses and corporates – many of which were also started by entrepreneurs –and assisting in a sustainable way” says Waterkeyn.
“We believe that given an opportunity to give back in a truly impactful way, that South Africans are only too keen to assist. This project presents a solid and sustainable solution as we will see the handover of the logos along with Over the Rainbow business training programmes for all the successful SMEs and designers (many of whom are small businesses too). For Mandela Day 2018, and as something we will be doing annually, this is a fantastic way of doing something that will last for years – even decades says Samantha Gabriel, Group Managing Director of Designers Ink.
About 67 Logos Designathon
A collaboration between Colourworks in partnership with Over the Rainbow and Designers Ink
A logo is one of the primary ways in which a brand makes a first impression. And the best first impressions are unforgettable. This year, as we celebrate Madiba’s centennial, we’re making Mandela Day all about South Africa’s small businesses and start-ups – a big driving force behind our country’s economic and social stability. For many of them, owning an expertly designed logo is an ever-elusive goal.
We will select 67 high impact South African small businesses and start-ups who need a logo. For these businesses, a logo represents a breakthrough – it’s their chance to make a lasting first impression.
Even though the design process will begin beforehand (as we know a great logo takes time), on 18 July 2018, 67 designers will come together in Cape Town and Johannesburg for 67 minutes to complete and hand over their 67 logos to the 67 high impact businesses.
Over the Rainbow will be offering a 2-day Business Boot camp to all successful SME’s. As we know, many designers are themselves small businesses and this offer will be extended to them too. Through the power of design and training, let’s make a difference that lasts a lifetime.
- The Truth About Xenophobia in South Africa |#Insights |#Devan Moonsamy - September 16, 2019
- FLEXIBLE WORKSPACE IS THE NEW FRANCHISE FRONTIER | #eBizInsights - September 16, 2019
- How the office will change by 2025 in Africa? |#eBizInsights - September 13, 2019
- Its more than gender based violence – it’s a complete collapse of our moral fibre and care for our fellow man|#PayItForward |#Ingrid von Stein - September 13, 2019
- Your own free Trade Mark search |#Insights |#IP Braai - September 13, 2019
- The MediaShop dominates MOST Awards! - September 11, 2019
- Are you Emotional Intelligent in your work place? |#Insight Trends |# Losego Motshele - September 11, 2019
- Reaching the base of the pyramid consumer has to be highly relevant|#Marketing Insights |#Lorraine Gwewera - September 11, 2019
- As entrepreneurs and business managers we are expected to speak in front of people – here are a few tips |#Insight |#Howard Feldman - September 10, 2019
- Making the transition to Dynamics 365 - September 10, 2019