At least 48% of all TV viewing Adults 15+ were glued to their screens during the 2-hour broadcast, and their kids also tuned in. Thank goodness SABC2 negotiated that they could screen this major event of national interest as evidenced In the image below, it is clear that the TVRs delivered on SABC2! No gender filters included (women also watch rugby!).
It is important to note that these figures do not take into account the screenings at Rugby Club Villages (such as Monte), pubs, clubs and other group viewing venues. It is possible that we can add on, at the very least, an additional 50%. Just Googling some images of the game and it is easy to get a sense of excitement at all of the out of home viewings.
Taking a look at TVRs achieved across the two stations across four different demographics, it is really exciting just how ‘nation building’ this final match was. TVRs achieved against LSM 4-7 sit at 9.7 on a Saturday morning, bearing in mind that there are omnibus repeats of favourite soapies on SABC1 at this time too.
And boy, were we glued to our screens!! If you look at the ebb and flow of audiences every two minutes, people didn’t even make coffee/tea or even go to the toilet during the commercial breaks! The SABC2 LSM 8-10 audience started at just over 1 million viewers and peaked at 1.6 million viewers by 1PM. Supersport 1 LSM 8-10 audiences started at just over 700k and peaked at 915k as the game ended.
In a press release from DStv, the DStv Now App served more than 500,000 unique users during match day. In fact, the data carried by content delivery network partners during the Final peaked at more than 500 Gbps (more than 4,000 GB of data PER minute) – this is another record for DStv Now in Africa.
Finally, even the Google Doodle got involved in the hype and excitement.
Once again, well done ‘Bokke’, we are an extremely proud and grateful nation.
Meta Media DNA
Meta Media is South Africa’s newest media agency, and part of the IPG global network. They are a data-led team who don’t just look at the numbers, they dig deeper and look for the story behind the story. They find the “so what” to give their clients real solutions based on real insights.
- Redstor offers Joyce’s Soup Kitchen some much needed support| #eBizPayItForward - December 4, 2019
- How what you study can lead to unexplored paths |#eBizInsights | Jamal Sahib - December 4, 2019
- Software licencing should be getting simpler, but it’s not | #eBizInsights |Richard Firth - December 4, 2019
- Syrex spreads some Santa Shoebox joy this festive season | #eBizPayItForward - December 4, 2019
- The real value of Paid Search and tracking the consumer journey |#eBizInsights| - December 4, 2019
- HAWKERS, HUSTLERS AND HERO’S | #Opinion | Ingrid von Stein - December 3, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #10 A wrap up with SAB| #eBizEntrepreneur |Phumzile Chifunyise - December 3, 2019
- Offshore Investments: A Road map| #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - December 2, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #9 Crispy Crop| #eBizEntrepreneur |Siphamandla Bilitane - December 2, 2019
- The power of positive sentiment, rugby and great business | #eBizInsight | Chris Botha - November 28, 2019