Having conducted in-depth interviews with over 18 200 women from a diverse range of communities, ROOTS 2019 found that appliance and electronics shopping has increased by almost 50% over the past three years.
The more finely grained the data, the more valuable the insights
These findings also underscore that while national statistics might paint an informative picture at the macro-level, it’s the area by area focus that holds significant insights into how women are living, what their needs are and what they’re willing to spend money on.
Residential living circumstances impact considerably on appliance and electronics purchases
For example, Midrand has seen a boom in apartment residency rates, with much of the property appealing to young professionals sharing accommodation to lessen the burden of rent.
These individuals prioritise smaller sized appliances and home electronics to maximise space savings. Compact and portable devices are preferred.
A large family that shares a space in Soweto, by contrast, determines size primarily by the amount of people the appliance needs to serve on a regular basis.
Life span of products
Another significant consideration when trying to predict possible spending patterns is confidence in future income and employment. In economically uncertain times, electronics and appliances are increasingly looked at as longer term investments.
Fostering a new buying culture
The 2019 sample is one that has become accustomed to Black Friday, which only started gaining traction in 2016. It is plausible that the annual sale has fostered a new buying culture: i.e. a tangible goal that comes round once a year and can be saved towards.
SPARK Media’s ROOTS 2019
Want to know more about South African women in their capacity as consumers? ROOTS 2019 is an indispensable source of reliable and accurate information for marketing and business decision makers.
Find out more from www.sparkmedia.co.za/roots-insights-2019
- Private equity fund takes the lead at transformative 4IR start-ups | #eBizEntrepreneur | Brett Dawson | Podcast - February 18, 2020
- Streaming content in 2020; the RSA context | #eBizInsights | Richard Lord | Podcast - February 14, 2020
- Search Engines prioritise user experiences in 2020 | #eBizInsights | Marcus Matsi - February 13, 2020
- Hive Digital Media’s Spectrum Roadshow| #eBizWires - February 13, 2020
- 2020 : The most important SONA since 1994 | #ebizradio #Opinion | Mike Abel - February 13, 2020
- Smoking in the Workplace: 21st Century edition | #eBizInisghts | Nicol Myburgh | Podcast - February 12, 2020
- iOCO achieves AWS End User Computing Competency status | #eBizInsights | Podcast | Richard Vester - February 6, 2020
- New examples of Customer-experience innovation with Dentsu Aegis| #eBizWires - February 6, 2020
- How Blockchain Technology Can Change Financial Management In Africa | #eBizInsights - February 6, 2020
- Spectrum: South Africa’s own innovative local video streaming platform | #eBizWires - February 5, 2020