More than 700 decision makers surveyed on the current state of digital business-results indicate significant digital denial
Progress has announced the results of its recent global survey: “Are Businesses Really Digitally Transforming or Living in Digital Denial?” The survey, conducted in Q1 2016 by Loudhouse, the specialist research division of Octopus Group, aimed to better understand how business leaders view digital transformation and learn their plans to address its challenges.
While most businesses recognize the inherent benefits of “going digital,” the majority of respondents are hitting roadblocks—lack of internal alignment, lack of adequate skills and plenty of cultural resistance. Coupled with technology constraints and an overall inability to execute, the result is a growing state of anxiety about embarking on digital transformation, with some fearing it may already be too late.
Key findings from the survey concluded:
- 96% of organizations see digital transformation as important or critical, yet 62% say their organization is in denial about the need to transform digitally
- 86% say they have two years to make inroads before suffering financial or competitive consequences (55% say a year or less); 59% are worried they may already be too late
- 99% say the main driver for digital transformation is optimizing customer experiences and engagement; 61% say customer engagement is a #1 priority for the next 12 months and 50% plan to invest in building applications in the next year
- 72% feel IT is more likely to be the final decision maker/budget holder for digital initiatives; 78% say better alignment of IT and marketing is needed to deliver on digital transformation efforts
- 58% say a high reliance on IT to deliver strategy is a barrier to provide improved customer experience through digital transformation; more than half cite lack of skills and leadership as key barriers
“Digital technologies are radically transforming business as we know it today and the driving force of change is based on the customer experience. Yet, many organizations continue to resist change. There needs to be a rapid awakening and acceptance that organizations must digitally transform to survive—and do it now,” said Mark Troester, Vice President, Digital Solutions, Progress. “This survey brings to light the reality of today’s digital transformation challenges, helping to educate and equip businesses with the information they need to succeed. Broad ‘digital’ concern has been palpable, but now we have data to prove it.”
Survey respondents included a mix of more than 700 global C-Level/VP decision makers; heads of marketing, digital and IT; as well as developers, IT architects, directors, engineers and line of business managers. These individuals represent organizations ranging from SMBs through large global enterprises. For more information and to read the full survey findings, click here.
Behind the scenes: Progress (NASDAQ: PRGS) is a global leader in application development, empowering the digital transformation organizations need to create and sustain engaging user experiences in today’s evolving marketplace. With offerings spanning web, mobile and data for on-premise and cloud environments, Progress powers startups and industry titans worldwide, promoting success one customer at a time. Learn about Progress at www.progress.com or 1-781-280-4000.
Progress is a trademark or registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the US and other countries. Any other trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020